“Done the trick ”

Ranked #176 of 264 Restaurants in Basingstoke
Price range: US$1 - US$64
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Freshly cooked food for everyone served to the sound of great music - guaranteed to make you feel good!
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

Having never been to Giraffe before I didn't know what to expect but we left pretty happy with our lunch. Admittedly 3 things off the menu but it didn't worry us too much as what we had was fine. The waiter who served us was very polite & explained what we had to do. Tasty food for a reasonable price.

Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

Took my daughter and daughter in law and two granddaughters to lunch. The grandchildren were given a children’s pack when we sat down, and although service was prompt they enjoyed the colouring. Food was excellent and the icing on the cake was a bill of £36 for five of us. Excellent meal enjoyed by all.

Reviewed 9 April 2018

Went into Giraffe for lunch with partner and toddler. They only had a limited menu which had to be ordered from the bar - no table service anymore.

Table was wobbly and high chair sticky - hygiene wasn’t a priority.

Drinks are self service, just like a rubbish Harvester.

Even though there was only one other table present, the food sat under the hot light for over 5 minutes. The server was more interested in chatting to friends and the manager didn’t care sitting at his laptop.

The proteins in our meals were cold and had the feel that nothing had been done fresh.

When we were previously in Basingstoke 9 months ago, the meal and experience was brilliant. Obvious changes to the menu, service and food quality has made it a terrible choice.

My recommendation - avoid.

1  Thank Adayaway84
Reviewed 8 April 2018

Not too keen on the changes to service, ordering at the bar rather than table and serving your own soft drinks looks chaotic when busy, but the drinks are limitless so top up when you’re ready rather than waiting to catch a waiters eye isn’t too bad. Couple of menu items weren’t available but we were told when we were seated. Food was served quickly and was tasty. No problems there. As you’re not served fully by a member of staff it saves the issue of a tip and how much but can see where problems could occur.

1  Thank Angela D
Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

I recently visited Giraffe with a group of friends. I was initially hesitant to visit, given that restaurants which offer a broad range of foods can sometimes lack quality, in their attempts to cater for all. On this front I must say I was wrong and found the Katsu Chicken Curry to be on a parr with that which I have eaten in Wagamamas.

I am not so keen, however, on the Nandos style of service- having to order food at the bar. The waiter that took my order seemed distracted and spoke to other customers whilst serving me. Aside from this he seemed personable and polite wishing me a pleasant evening. The waitress who served us was also polite and less distracted.

My only real complaint is that the tables in the restaurant were very sticky. I was reluctant to put my arms on the table and instead laid a napkin out to avoid contact with the surface. This napkin then got stuck to the table when I attempted to peel it off. As I left the restaurant I felt another table which was also sticky, so this problem was not limited to our table.

Overall I would say that the good in giraffe is of a reasonably high standard and the staff were friendly and attentive, for the most part. The only factor which would prevent me from going back would be the issue with the cleanliness.