All reviewspub grubstony stratfordfriendly landladylovely pubfront of housecar parkaccommodationmk
Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

My wife and I are fortunate to be able to lunch out most days somewhere in Milton Keynes. The Shoulder of Mutton is clean and tidy and has quickly become one of our favourite places to eat and drink. The menu choice is great and the chef (landlord) really cares about the quality of the food he sends to the table......it's by far the best food around, freshly cooked to order, nothing seems to be to much trouble.
The very friendly landlady runs the well stocked bar and front of house and is always very attentive to everybody.
She runs her small team very well.
Large car park, dog friendly in the small bar.
Very much worth a visit....

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2017

Stayed here for one night for a surprise party held in the bar area.
From the moment we arrived we were not made welcome and the landlady couldn't have made it clearer she did not want to hold this event, consequently didn't seem to want us there!
No smiles, snappy answers, when we asked where the rooms were we were told with a pointed finger 'over there!' Not the friendliness of welcomes. we felt ignored when we tried to order a drink as we were not regulars. During the evening there were additional staff behind the bar who were very good and friendly.
Buffet was good as was breakfast, just a shame the landlady was so negative towards our party and on occasion was quite rude. A lot of effort was made by my niece and a lot of money was passed over the bar. Plus we took 5 of the 6 rooms! Unfortunately the landlady reduced the service score to 2 out of 5
Our room was small with metal framed beds. Wall mirror was right beside the bed, could be better placed so you could get to it properly. No toiletries in the small shower. Fan didn't always switch off automatically. Couldn't find a hairdryer in any of the drawers in room 1, can't open the curtains to this room as looks onto the car park. Would suggest choosing an upstairs room if you decide to stay. Also watch the small step into the room, especially when there is no light. Rooms badly need updating but i undestand the cost is reasonable compared to staying in MK and the bedding was clean. Lovely location and has masses of potential if the relatively new owners can make improvements to the rooms and the service.

Room Tip: Choose an upstairs room where you may get a view and can open the curtains
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2017 via mobile

We have just been to the shoulder of mutton for my mum's birthday meal . The food was really great and the lady who served us was very helpful . There was no background music . This was really helpful as my mum and dad suffer with hearing loss . They were able to hear all the conversations .

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 March 2017

Visited on a Tuesday evening and it was nice and busy. The service wasn't fast but the food was well cooked and delicious. I had the lamb shank and my companion had steak and ale pie - both very good. I would certainly recommend the maple pecan tart for pud!

Stayed: March 2017
1  Thank Sue D
Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

I visited the shoulder on a Friday night and it was nice to see it busy with drinkers. Myself and Mrs booked a table for dinner and we were waited on by a very polite young girl. I had the Ham Hock and Mrs had the pie and they were fantastic. Glad to see a new family taking over the establishment I hope they do well. All they need to do is make that beautiful fireplace more of a centre piece of the pub! It's gorgeous, shift that coffee and tea facility else where and get some good seating nearer and it'll be the perfect pub. Can't wait to go back!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple