“The best croque monsieur I ever had so far!”

Frederic Cafe Bistro
Ranked #4 of 344 Restaurants in Maidstone
Price range: US$7 - US$28
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Small independent cafe-bistro serving provincial French "peasant food" - This is not fine dining! Its loud, noisy and rustic.
Reviewed 16 February 2016 via mobile

I've heard about Frederic cafe bistro so many times and finally could check it out. Decor and ambience could be slightly better I wasn't impressed at all! Nothing caught my eye tbh...anyway three of us had a lovely lunch today! We all decided to get a croque monsieur sandwich with some fries and salad and it was delicious! The best I ever tried so far! Our waitress was really attentive and friendly. Prices seems to be reasonable as well. I will definitely come back to try more dishes from the À la carte menu!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)

Reviewed 14 February 2016

Situated right in the centre of town, this little restaurant is worth searching out. Always friendly and often busy and worth the wait but avoid the table by the door on cold days!

My usual Croque Monsieur is without doubt the best i have had anywhere in the UK, and i have had a few! and most importantly the coffee is always hot, so it lasts me through the entire lunch. Brownie with raspberries is also worth a go if you still have room, and all lovingly home made by the owners wife.

Reviewed 12 February 2016 via mobile

I had heard from friends that this was the place to go in Maidstone so we booked a table.
We had to book well in advance which is always a good sign and I must say we were not disappointed.
Personally I found the starters a little limited but I know our friends would not agree. The main courses and desserts were excellent though.
I had a lovely fillet steak that was cooked to perfection and the orange roulade was very tasty.
The owner came out for a chat and was very hospitable. He also appeared to be very knowledgable in regard to different wines and regions in France.
The service was quick and efficient and the final bill was reasonable.
I would definitely book again and would recommend.

Reviewed 12 February 2016

Not a great lover of restaurants in general as I usually feel that I've spent too much money for a forgettable meal when I could spend half and get some very memorable food and wine to cook at home.

But this family owned and run place is different. They clearly put their heart and soul into it, the food is excellent, the prices are good and I always leave feeling it was worth every penny I paid for the meal.

Reviewed 10 February 2016

Amazing Croque Monsieur. My friend had heard of this restaurant and travelled all the way from Wales to sample the food. It was certainly was worth the journey. Keep up your high standards and look forward to another meal soon.