All reviews national holidays self service wedding party weekend break bar prices buffet breakfast would stay again overnight stop comfy bed family room full english cannot fault sammy venue
Reviewed 7 July 2018

This is one of the ugliest buildings I've ever seen, both inside and out. On the positive side the rooms are a good size, the windows can be opened, beds and pillows are very comfortable, there are several sockets for charging, bedside lamps and there is plenty of storage space with enough hangers. However, the lighting is very dim; it's not possible to sit and read in the evening. The bathroom is too small, even for average size adults, and there are no hooks or anywhere to put your clothes; you have to get undressed and dressed outside before a bath or shower. The shower is inferior, can only be used as a hand spray, but there is always plenty of hot water and the complementary toiletries are good. The TV has eitiher no signal or it is very poor and, although there is a free phone, we couldn't get it to turn on. Good tea and coffee faciliities with plenty of milk availabe but not biscuits and it says on the leaflet that there will be. Cleaning is somewhat ad hoc: basin not always cleaned, rubbish not always taken and one day we were not serviced at all. On reporting this we were brought clean towels and cups. Or they go to the other extreme and throw away toiletries/soap that have only been opened and used once, which is a waste all round. The breakfasts are good on Monday to Saturdays, plenty of food, fresh tea, coffee and toast and helpful, friendly staff who will bring anything you need. However, don't be there on a Sunday morning: the staff are friendly and trying hard but are obviously poorly trained and very young. Food runs low, tables not cleared, tea and coffee isn't freshly made and neither is the toast, just put in a basket on the buffet. The worst thing about this hotel is the paper thin walls and floors, but of course this is beyond the control of the staff. Conversations can be heard as if people are in the same room, as can footsteps in the corridor or other rooms. Being woken by a couple having noisy sex in the room above at 3.00am was both embarrassing and annoying.

Room Tip: There is no lift to the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan G
Maps823243, General Manager at Mercure Birmingham North Barons Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 days ago

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Barons Court Hotel. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, earlier in the year; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I am very confident that since our refurbishment and re-brand to a Mercure Hotel, that any future visit will be far more of an enjoyable experience.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

I hope we can look forward to that....

Kind regards,

Reviewed 4 July 2018

Just had the one nights stay last Saturday night whilst on a weekend break with a National Holidays, arrived late to hotel because of 1940s weekend on Severn Valley Railway, but our meal had been put back one hour so we had time to freshen up. Superb room, twin room as travelling with my adult son who has some additional needs.
Evening meal was 1st class, nothing too much trouble for any of the young staff,
Breakfast was also excellent plenty of choices too as my son doesn’t eat cooked breakfast, but was still able to have a substantial meal. Best hotel that I’ve ever stayed in with National Holidays.

Room Tip: 1st floor was lovely, with a side view of woodland, nice big window to open
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Carol H

We very much appreciate your lovely comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Birmingham North Barons Court Hotel.

Regards

Reviewed 2 July 2018 via mobile

This was the hotel that we stayed at whilst on a National Holidays break.My wife & I stayed here for 1 night & found it very good in all respects,very good,tidy,modern & clean rooms.Excellent choice of food,well cooked & served to your table in the lovely dining room.Breakfast was buffet,again first class with plenty of choices,both hot & cold.Many thanks to all the hotel staff,they are all a real credit to the hotel,always polite & smiling.....well done.......Definitely one of the best hotels used by National Holidays

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2018

Just stayed at this hotel for a weekend break. The hotel itself is under refurbishment.

From what we could see it will be brilliant when its finished. There was a smell of fresh paint about which was good not overpowering. Our room however must be one of the rooms to be finished off yet. Everyone else on our trip spoke highly of their rooms all finished . The furnishings were good and the beds clean but the bathroom unfortunately had a few issues such as a shower curtain which was once white and now yellow half way down yuk. One chair to sit on although 2 people in the room and there was room to put another in the corner although a dressing table chair was there but not a comfy one. No suitcase stand either which are normally kept folded in the wardrobe anyway not to take up any room. Tea and biscuits should have been provided but no biscuits offered on the tray. Anyway these are all minor things which hopefully will be rectified during the refurb. The staff were wonderful and the food excellent , evening meal and breakfast what a treat. Would love to stay here again if in the area hopefully to see the finished renovations. I would recommend a visit here and trust me I am particular about where we stay.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms are the best apparently .
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank mrstripps

Regards

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

So we stayed here on a trip with national holidays
No ones key cards worked so everyone was back & forth!
Dinner was nice but service a shambles.... should employe people that know how to do the job!!
Breakfast was lovely & a good choice
The “duty manager” had a bad attitude,
Very dismissive to my friend as she hadn’t been happy with her meal, he told her they had NEVER had any complaints about the food & asked if they had a takeaway menu, her told her to look on Just eat!!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nic5775

I hope we can look forward to that....

Kind regards,