“Rude and average food”

Longfellows Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 325 Restaurants in Solihull
Price range: US$28 - US$42
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Friendly and intimate family run restaurant. Innovative English based cuisine prepared by chef/proprietor Doug Long. Changes to menu daily.Beautiful garden area for alfresco dining. Early evening and lunch Prix Fixe menu available. Open for Sunday lunch. Only 5 minutes away from Birmingham NEC, Genting Arena,Birmingham Airport and Rail station. Parking available.
Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

Also the food was unacceptablily overcooked and the taste of food is average, totally disappointed. I rather drive further for better food. My partner and I had enough of experience of fine food to recognize what we are expecting for.
Food was totally overrated by the locals!

In addition to the above ,a very Rude elderly lady with poor customer service skills.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

To celebrate my wife and mother in law's birthdays we arranged a meal for 16 people. My wife found this lovely family run restaurant. We knew that they had a large party in for a meal in late afternoon so thought that might affect our experience. We need not have worried. The service was first class and the food was excellent. All of our guests were most complimentary about the food and service and several have told us that they will be going back again. Another bonus is a large covered garden area at the rear with gas heaters. We had our own room with no extra charges and the cost of the food and wine for a city restaurant was reasonable. All in all a little gem. Try it and see.

2  Thank GoffODowd
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

We popped into this restaurant on the off chance that they would be able to seat a table of 5. The food and atmosphere couldn't have been better. We had a really lovely meal in quiet surroundings - I would fully recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

It was the first visit for the wife and me. The main attraction for booking was the vegetarian choices on offer which the wife is. The rest of the menu looked pretty good I had the Samosa starter which was okay, the wife's Garlic Mushrooms were tasty but a little surprised with the chunky chopped onions at the base of the dish. Although Vegetarian she chose the Sea Bass and wasn't disappointed, she felt there was too much salad garnish, specially as there was a generous vegetable accompaniment. I had the Steak and Mushroom pie. It was very tasty and flavoursome, but the gravy was a bit too thin for my liking and the chips were a bit limp, not as crisp as the topping.

The odd thing was, when I paid the bill in cash, when I took the folder to the bar it was taken from me, no change was offered or a "Thank You" assuming it was a tip, which it was intended to be.

Overall we felt it lacked any atmosphere. Would we return, Yes probably with friends or family as it could have been one of those "off" nights on both sides, plus the wife wants to sample the Veggie choices.

1  Thank r0nnie44
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

We booked midweek evening for our anniversary after hearing some good recommendations.

We parked in the large pub car park opposite as there was a car blocking the frontage of the restaurant. I get the impression that parking is quite relaxed at the pub though so there was no problem.

The restaurant is small, homely and well decorated. The staff pleasant and professional. It was a bit too quite as there was only one other couple when we arrived and when they left half way through our meal it was just us remaining. We arrived after the eligible early evening fixed price menu so this may be one reason. Due to it being quiet the background music of 80s middle of the road tracks become noticible although they weren't the cheesy sort.

There is a wide range of wines and some good bottled beers available. They do have Carling on draft but that's my least favourite lager.

Starters were nice and a good size. I had the pate and my wife the spring rolls. For the mains I had the duck with nectarines and my wife the lamb which she enjoyed and there were side vegetables for both of us which were a little bland. The duck was nice with crispy skin although it was more medium-well rather than the medium I asked for so was a little chewy. It was the side dishes that i had the most issue with. Due to the nectarines my plate was swimming in a watery liquid which didn't taste of much so I was basically plonking the carrots and potatoes into this liquid. When I'm paying over £15 for a main I expect a well thought through dish and not some kind of bad take on a Sunday dinner. The plate sizes were good though and we were too full for desserts.

While we were paying we signed up to receive email alerts for offers and received a free drink token which is very clever. We may be back to see what the lunchtime menu is like so we are not writing this establishment off. However I'm not sure when that will be as we have 3 small children and I'm not sure this is family friendly establishment although I could be wrong.