“Amazing hospitality, great gluten free food!”
Review of Sweet Mandarin

Sweet Mandarin
Get food delivered
Ranked #420 of 2,514 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$21 - US$48
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Sweet Mandarin stands out on the Manchester restaurant scene for its vibrant, cosmopolitan atmosphere, modern Chinese menu and killer cocktails. Located in the chic Design House on Copperas Street, the award-winning restaurant is based on a simple philosophy: quick service, delicious pan Asian cooking and value for money. Whether you're in the mood for a memorable meal in the minimalist dining room, or after-work cocktails, celeb-spotting and Chinese tapas in the bar – this is the place for you. Working in a theatrical exhibition kitchen, the high-energy chefs use Mandarin style woks and traditional techniques to prepare classic dishes such as beef with sweet peppers and black bean sauce; Shanghai vegetables with garlic and chilli sauce; and General Tse's sweet and sour chicken
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Visited as a group of 6 for a recent birthday.
One member of our party has coeliac disease so finding a good gluten free Chinese is always very difficult (almost impossible at times).
They have an extensive gluten free menu and keep separate areas in the kitchen to avoid cross contamination.
The food was delicious and the service we received from Helen and the team was even better.
Hands down one of the friendliest and most welcoming experiences I’ve had in a restaurant.

1  Thank maxwellvolume
Write a reviewReviews (799)

Reviewed 14 August 2021 via mobile

You won't be disappointed in the food or the welcome at this Northern Quarter Chinese restaurant with a real family history.

I came here with my family while we were staying in Manchester and it really was the freshest tasting Chinese meal I have ever had. The lemon chicken is like eating lemon and sugar pancake. It's a small menu compared with your average Chinese restaurant but all the better for it as they concentrate on doing the basics to perfection.

We came back twice in one week, it really was that good. The owners and staff are friendly and cannot do enough to make you feel welcome. We left there feeling like family friends and will definitely be back!

Thank you all.

Reviewed 14 August 2021 via mobile

The dishes might sound very familiar - hot and sour soup, crispy duck, lemon chicken, crispy beef - but what makes this food stand out from the crowd is the quality of the ingredients, everything cooked from scratch and the subtly of the flavours. The family that own it and the other staff are lovely too.

Reviewed 7 August 2021 via mobile

My sister is a coeliac and so this seemed to have a good choice. In reality it was fantastic - so refreshing for her to go somewhere that she can choose nearly anything of the menu and feel safe that she won’t be ill. In addition it all tasted great. But don’t do what we did and get carried away ordering and end up with several takeaways! :)

Reviewed 2 August 2021 via mobile

We went to this restaurant last Saturday due to my child having coeliacs decease, we were sat straight down and asked for drinks but we all couldn’t hear the staff due to them wearing masks so they had to repeat many times , they got our order wrong and brought food that wasn’t ours and there was only 3 tables with customers, part of order was dinner for two £40 all gf but they didn’t bring us spring rolls and I didn’t say to my daughter but I was bit anxious they hadn’t made all the meal gluten free as I felt the staff just didn’t get what I was telling them !!! I would suggest staff not to wear masks now as it’s impossible to hear them but the food was really really nice

I would go again I think if ever in Manchester but the place needs more organisation by the staff but they were all really lovely