“5* star food, service doesn't match up”

Cottonopolis Food & Liquor
Ranked #200 of 2,370 Restaurants in Manchester
Reviewed 10 September 2017

So impressed with the food here, everything we had was gorgeous. Highlights were the sea bass nigiri, lamb chops and the prawn dumplings. We went for 6 plates between 2 plus a side & it was more than enough food.
The atmosphere is good & I love the open kitchen. It was a Friday night so the bar area was busy, if we had stayed much later it would have been a bot too noisy to enjoy a meal I imagine but you'd expect this from a busy NQ restaurant.
It's a bit of a shame about the service, the staff are so casual & nonchalant you almost feel rude asking them for anything. I have to say the guy who greeted us initially, showed us to our table & reeled off the specials menu was great - he was knowledgeable & friendly. But after that we weren't sure who was supposed to be serving us, it took ages to order our wine then once we'd ordered it took forever to arrive.
I'd still return, no question - the food was too good, but I think a few tweaks to the service would go a long way.

Reviewed 4 September 2017

I took my partner here for his birthday and I think the phrase 'not what I was expecting' really sums up Cottonopolis. On arrival we were seated quickly however the immediate atmosphere you are met with is very loud. At only 7pm I felt like we were eating in a nightclub rather than a restaurant/bar. The service was good, the lady looking after us always made sure we were satisifed and the food came quickly. The food really was excellent with a great range of japanese tapas to choose from. I did feel however that what let's Cottonopolis down is the general atmosphere. There isn't really any separation between seating for food and for having a general drink. I understand that Cottonopolis is both a bar and a restaurant, but some separation would be good. As with many other reviewers the main issue is the music, it is just too loud. I struggled to carry any form of conversation with my partner and felt that we needed to rush as we preferred a more relaxed atmosphere. I asked the waitress about this and she mentioned that they had received several complaints about this. What made matters worse was that the music was even turned up during our time there. This issue really needs to be addressed, maybe have the dj playing from 9pm rather than so early on? I feel that Cottonopolis should listen to the reviews on both Tripadvisor and Facebook regarding this issue. So all in all, I would recommend for the excellent dining but if you're looking for something more relaxed and romantic, Cottonopolis isn't the place.

1  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed 2 September 2017

The food was lovely would definitely recommend. The service was average, we were a party of 12 and were advised it was tapas style and to order 3-4 dishes each. It's not tapas it's a meal split into component parts, our order included squid (I'd describes as a starter), rice, edame beans (sides), yakitori and bao buns (portion of 2 so to big to be called tapas in my view) among others. Majority of order was delivered efficiently just one served a little after the rest and a minor thing 2 orders of rice were brought in 1 dish, only thing was the 2 people who ordered it were sat at opposite ends of a long table, when we asked if we could have separate portions we were made to feel like we were being difficult/trying to get something for nothing (what with rice being so expensive/take so long to prepare) and a point was made of bringing us an extra empty bowl so we could split it. Needless to say I'd definitely visit again for some quick nice food on a night out drinking but not for a special meal

Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

So refreshing to see an open kitchen, dim sum chefs and a huge bar area to lounge in and enjoy the modern take on Asian ingredients. The Benton box was great value for money at £8 for four different dishes. This is in comparison to a friend who ordered a similar number a la carter which came to £21. Everything was cooked to perfection; for example the tempura was light and subtle and the asparagus wasn't overly crunchy. I hope this place garner more success. With little nice touches like bringing over a bottle of water without requesting one and comfy leather booths, I can't fault this place at all!

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

Was a bit skeptic all about reviews saying "don't treat this place as a restaurant" because of loud music.
I visited at 1pm on a Thursday and the place was laid back, cool and funny.
There was good music playing which may have been too loud for my mum (who's 70) - but not too loud to sit and chill out and still have good conversation.
Really nice decor and setting - nice atmosphere with different types of people, from business people to groups and couples.
Staff were friendly although service a little slow, but we weren't in a rush.
The kitchen is fab - you can see it from all the seating areas and watch the chefs at work.
The food is very impressive and authentic. We ordered mostly steamed items and received chop sticks to eat with, which I loved and added to the authenticity!!
The cocktail menu is super exciting and they look great when they arrive. The tastes however were a bit on the strong side. This is a good thing for some people but I like to enjoy my drink and not just get smashed quickly... ha.
The toilets were gorgeous, the sinks are really nice. (You'll know what I mean when you see them)
There's a really nice feel about the building and the way it's been done up - well done to the owners!

Really enjoyed my visit and will be going back in a flash the next time I visit Manchester!!