“Magnificent”

Townhouse Hotel Manchester
Ranked #46 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a night on Sept 21st and it is by far one of the cosiest hotels I've ever stayed at. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the room was nice and the bed was really comfy. The wine was to die for as well. Great location, right in the city centre, close to all the stores. Will definitely go back!

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed 15 September 2012

Having been to this hotel 3 times before I decided to splash out on a suite this time as it wasn't much more expensive than a normal room. I would definitely recommend this to anyone.

The check in was smoothly done, as normal, and in no time at all we were in our suite. The lounge, with complimentary coffee machine and waters, TV, 3 or 4 person sofa, was lovely. It looked out onto the street so you can could watch the world pass by or relax in the comfort of the sofa with drinks from hotel room service.

The bathroom, with his and hers sinks, separate bath and shower, robes and slippers was luxurious and something I wouldn't expect in a hotel but The Townhouse does out do itself with its bathrooms. This bathroom also has a door from the bedroom and one from the corridor connecting the lounge and the bedroom - 2 doors gives you an idea of how big the bathroom is.

The bedroom was completely dark at night, which is something I love when sleeping, and had the most comfortable and huge bed. There is also a TV in here and full wardrobe.

The corridor connecting the lounge and bedroom has a full wardrobe with ironing facilities and connecting door to the next room should you require this.

The suite is an extravagance but worth every penny and I can not recommend it enough.

The only downside to the stay, and this could have been because it was the middle of the afternoon, was that the room service drinks we ordered took a little too long to arrive.

Room Tip: If you afford it get a suite, they aren't much more expensive and are brilliant.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I stayed here for three nights in late August on business. I checked in around 9pm on a Tuesday. Business travellers please note that they want you to present the credit card the hotel was booked under, even if prepaid in advance. This isn't the case in all hotels and as my manager had booked this room, there was a bit of hassle trying to sort this out, even after me supplying my own credit card for incidentals.

I left my baggage in the room and had a meal in the hotel restaurant. It was totally empty except for me. Service was slow enough however as the same man who was serving me also seemed to be in charge of room service so was hard to catch. I had pasta which was nice.

I went back up to the room and started unpacking but noticed there was noise coming from below the window. It sounded like a nightclub smoking area. People were yelling and shouting. I imagined this was only going to get louder as the evening went on so I immediately went downstairs and requested a room change. The man at the desk seemed to know all about this and I was moved straight away.

The first room had quite a modern bathroom but the second one (which was one floor up) was more traditional. Although the room was good overall, you could see some signs of age creeping in. The original room also had a chunk missing from the toilet seat which had been filled in with some plaster which didn't look so nice.

I did find the room lacking in light as there was no main ceiling light, just some wall ones. The bathroom was bright though. The bed was comfy and I slept well each night.

I noticed the toilet had a very light flush and I always had to flush it a few times just to get it clean. It was a bit annoying but I didn't want to mention it to the front desk as it's a bit embarrassing. The shower was an old fashioned shower inside a bath but it had good pressure and heat. I did notice one evening some one cleaning the room had moved the temperature on it from 38 to 50 which I found a little odd. The room was always cleaned nicely however.

The breakfast was often quite empty at 9am. The food was decent but the juices kept running out and one day the apple juice was put in the orange juice dispenser meaning there was orange pulp in the apple juice.

The internet connection was good and easy to log on to. One of the reasons I chose this hotel was the free internet.

I ate in the Indian restaurant across the road one night and found it was really good and very easy to get to of course! I also visited the Arndale Centre for shopping and the hotel itself was very near to Oxford St which I was visiting.

Overall I did enjoy my stay here although there were a few things which were a little anoying. I think I would stay at the Doubletree Hilton where I stayed before if returning to Manchester.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Rachie1234
Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

Checked in at 2pm, reception very very friendly, asked if we wanted reservations booking anywhere, any taxis booking, very helpfull. We stayed in a standard room, on the second floor, it wasnt a huge room but it was clean, comfy and stylish. Bog standard free view TV but we didnt go to watch tv. The hotel is in a great location. The hotel is on a main road, so with our room being at the front, traffic noise was an issue but it didnt bother us. If you are bothered by road noise, ask for a room at the back/top of the hotel!!?? Check out was easy and uncomplicated. We would definatly return.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I booked this hotel direct for my girlfriend and I. I opted for a suite as they were not much more expensive that a standard room, with breakfast and prepaid in full. We arrived after check in and our room was not ready. Having waiting 5 minutes and still not being ready we were offered a complimentary drink at the bar, which we took full advantage of with a glass of champagne each. This more than made up for having to wait 15 minutes. Our room was brilliant. We had a large lounge with large sofa, table, huge tv with huge windows overlooking the street. We also had lots of tea/coffee/still and sparkling water. We also had a coffee machine. Down the hallway was our bedroom with a huge very comfy bed and another tv. The bathroom was also massive with separate bath/shower,his and hers sinks. The Room was very clean, spacious and the furniture was very nice and luxurious. Breakfast was nice, not amazing. Good selection of continental items, cereals, fruits, yogurts, danish pastries, juices. The full English was quite nice, small, poached egg tasted far much of vinegar and the black pudding was average. The hotel was in the perfect location. We went for a meal at Jamie Oliver's Italian and this was only a 10 minute walk away, along with many other restaurants and shops. The hotels car park (Qpark) indoor car park attached to Novotel (1 min walk) was very secure and the hotel validated your ticket on check out for 30% off. Car park is usually £19.50 for 24 hours. Overall great hotel, very clean and modern, staff we great and we would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Our suite was great. Room 311.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple