“Great stay and great value!”
Review of New Union Hotel

New Union Hotel
Ranked #78 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I stayed here on a Thurs & Fri night, regardless of some of the poor comments below, this hotel is GREAT location on Canal Street, Worth the money. The website does state it is above a bar. The Friday night music could be heard from the room, but this was expected and was only until 2:30am. For location you REALLY cannot get a better hotel. Bathroom was clean, modern and of a decent size. Modern room clean and tidy etc. The 24hour access door/staircase was being painted while I was there. Theres nothing I would moan or complain about with this hotel. The staff are friendly and I felt safe and comfortable here on what was my 3rd stay with them,

Room Tip: Great location, great value for money and really good rooms
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Rob J

Reviewed 8 November 2011

The staff are really friendly and helpful, the accommodation was great considering the cheap prices, and generally a lot nicer than some other places I've stayed in. I would definitely recommend this to the anyone!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emma G
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I have been genuinely surprised about the reviews about this hotel. Granted it isn't 5* luxury but it doesn't profess to be either. On both of my visits it has been exceptionally clean. It is in an ideal location and is a lot nicer than some city centre hotels that I have paid double for! I stayed here with my partner over a year ago and again a fortnight ago for two nights on both occasions and even since our last visit there appeared to be significant improvements to the room (although we didn't stay in the same room on both visits). It is worth mentioning that the hotel is over a club, but it has never been a problem; (the only noise we heard were the pigeons in the morning!) All in all, if you want a good, clean, cheap hotel in a perfect location, you cant go much wrong than this.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Me and my boyfriend went there while we were over in manchester for a concert. The whole trip was a birthday present and this seemed like the ideal location.

I paid a deposit before I got there and when we did arrive, we got shown to our room which was dark and dingy. It only had a small window which didn't open very wide. I had to go to the pound shop to stock up on antibacterial wipes and bleach because the bathroom was disgusting. The shower door was literally about to fall off and there was barely any room to swing a cat.

Anyway, we went shopping and I noticed I had 3 missed calls on my phone from the hotel. When i called them there was no answer. We got back to the hotel a few hours later and the manager knocked on our door and told us we hadn't paid enough money to secure our booking. I went up with him to the office to pay what needed to be paid when he asked me for the full amount. Surely the deposit would be enough to secure your booking. We hadn't even been there for one full day yet and he wanted me to pay for the whole 4 day trip. Biggest regret now is that I did, because after 4 full days they wouldn't have got half of what they were charging.

In four days, our bedsheets were changed once. And that was only because we asked for them to be changed. The tea tray was never changed so we sat with dirty cups in our room for 4 days. The bin wasnt changed so we were filling up tesco bags with rubbish which we had to set beside the wall. It was too cold to leave the window half open all day so the room started to smell because it wasn't being cleaned.

Vile, disgusting place. I complained to the hotel and didn't hear anything back. Will NEVER stay in this dirty disgusting hotel ever again. Oh and the breakfast that we paid £4 each for on the first morning.....2 cold rounds of toast and butter and a cup of tea. Do one....they saw us coming with that one!

Room Tip: Don't stay here - there's an eazysleep up the road and even though the reviews on tripadviso...
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Burnsy89
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Stayed at this hotel Sunday to Wednesday. It is an entirely acceptable cheap hotel in Manchester centre. Location is excellent and we paid £55 per night for a twin room. The double bed in room 4 feels on the verge of collapse, and the window can't be locked, which isn't great security wise. Bathroom is tiny but functional, and we had no problems with the hot water (as other reviewers have indicated).

I would stay there again, but only if I wanted a bed and a shower. Robin, the manager, was very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends