New Union Hotel
US$238
US$199
Travelocity
  • Room Service
All reviewsgay villagecanal streetdisco downstairsclub pubcash depositexpect noisedoor keybathroom doorbasic roomclean towelsfriendly hotelbooked this hotelcomfy bednightlifeearplugs
Reviewed 8 November 2011

The staff are really friendly and helpful, the accommodation was great considering the cheap prices, and generally a lot nicer than some other places I've stayed in. I would definitely recommend this to the anyone!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emma G
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I have been genuinely surprised about the reviews about this hotel. Granted it isn't 5* luxury but it doesn't profess to be either. On both of my visits it has been exceptionally clean. It is in an ideal location and is a lot nicer than some city centre hotels that I have paid double for! I stayed here with my partner over a year ago and again a fortnight ago for two nights on both occasions and even since our last visit there appeared to be significant improvements to the room (although we didn't stay in the same room on both visits). It is worth mentioning that the hotel is over a club, but it has never been a problem; (the only noise we heard were the pigeons in the morning!) All in all, if you want a good, clean, cheap hotel in a perfect location, you cant go much wrong than this.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Me and my boyfriend went there while we were over in manchester for a concert. The whole trip was a birthday present and this seemed like the ideal location.

I paid a deposit before I got there and when we did arrive, we got shown to our room which was dark and dingy. It only had a small window which didn't open very wide. I had to go to the pound shop to stock up on antibacterial wipes and bleach because the bathroom was disgusting. The shower door was literally about to fall off and there was barely any room to swing a cat.

Anyway, we went shopping and I noticed I had 3 missed calls on my phone from the hotel. When i called them there was no answer. We got back to the hotel a few hours later and the manager knocked on our door and told us we hadn't paid enough money to secure our booking. I went up with him to the office to pay what needed to be paid when he asked me for the full amount. Surely the deposit would be enough to secure your booking. We hadn't even been there for one full day yet and he wanted me to pay for the whole 4 day trip. Biggest regret now is that I did, because after 4 full days they wouldn't have got half of what they were charging.

In four days, our bedsheets were changed once. And that was only because we asked for them to be changed. The tea tray was never changed so we sat with dirty cups in our room for 4 days. The bin wasnt changed so we were filling up tesco bags with rubbish which we had to set beside the wall. It was too cold to leave the window half open all day so the room started to smell because it wasn't being cleaned.

Vile, disgusting place. I complained to the hotel and didn't hear anything back. Will NEVER stay in this dirty disgusting hotel ever again. Oh and the breakfast that we paid £4 each for on the first morning.....2 cold rounds of toast and butter and a cup of tea. Do one....they saw us coming with that one!

Room Tip: Don't stay here - there's an eazysleep up the road and even though the reviews on tripadvisor are bad...the rooms are the same price and a MUCH higher standard...so that's saying something
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Burnsy89
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Stayed at this hotel Sunday to Wednesday. It is an entirely acceptable cheap hotel in Manchester centre. Location is excellent and we paid £55 per night for a twin room. The double bed in room 4 feels on the verge of collapse, and the window can't be locked, which isn't great security wise. Bathroom is tiny but functional, and we had no problems with the hot water (as other reviewers have indicated).

I would stay there again, but only if I wanted a bed and a shower. Robin, the manager, was very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Me and my friends came here for a birthday bash, Location was great no taxis or anything! Room was very basic and worth money we paid however... one window was broke and ha to stay open good job it was sweating that night!! Also light was very dim only one lamp worked, then the shower had no hot water and just dripped on you.. I then went to my friends room where there shower worked but again had no hot water, my other friends room was a triple room and you would expect 3 beds or a double and a siungle no it was 2 singles and an airbed! I personally dont think thats the acceptable, also didnt feel that staff were around alot and bar man was VERY rude and had one hell of an attitude! I mean i asked for a drink with a glass and ice with a straw and i got back.. " god you dont ask for much do ya!" think this is so innappropriate.. he was slamming about and given customers dirty looks ... overall had a fab time and suppose hotel was worth how cheap it was,.,, ya get wat ya pay for i suppose...

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends