“Very good aubergine and lamb dishes”

Damas the Art of Meze
Ranked #318 of 2,371 Restaurants in Manchester
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Art of Meze is a restaurant and Meze bar, bringing modern, freshly-prepared Greek and Middle Eastern food to Chorlton.We had a great night, great food, good atmosphere and we were seranaded by Pascal Paschalis playing the Bouzouki with Chris, Its a definate to go again!!!!!! Well Done!!!!!
Reviewed 4 April 2015

I was impressed by the aubergine and lamb dishes at this restaurant. Someone else has complained about the limited chicken dishes on the menu. There are some but I can see that the chef is playing to their strength - vegetables and lamb. Anyone can cook chicken but to cook lamb and aubergine well takes skill. The menu has a good selection of Lebanese, Turkish and Greek dishes.
I would particularly recommend the babaganoush, kibbeh and makloubeh. The babaganoush had all the smoky aubergine taste you expect from this dish but had been given added crunch and freshness through the addition of pomegranate, nuts and fresh herbs. The kibbeh were large, hot and had a generous and tasty lamb stuffing. The Makloubeh was a new dish to me. It is a pilaff of lamb and nuts contained within a ring of soft, melt in the mouth aubergine slices.
This would be a good place to bring vegetarians or children as both are catered for well on the menu. The portions were large, we did not finish our mains and were asked if we would like it boxed to take away. As we were on our way to Manchester airport I declined but in other circumstances I would have readily accepted.
The service was good without being over attentive, although salt and pepper on the table would have been appreciated and the serviettes were rather thin and small. The restaurant is smart, light and airy. The wine list was rather disappointing and our bottle of Shiraz was drinkable but not great. Some middle eastern or new world wines would have added character. At the moment the offering is rather limited, sticking to middle of the road European wines. The food though is very good value, our starters were no more than £4 each and mainly were less than £10.
A very pleasant evening and somewhere I would return if in the area again.

Reviewed 17 March 2015 via mobile

We ate at the art of meze for a valentines meal. This was our first time eating here and we were blown away by the polite and excellent standard of service from the waiter and the gorgeous food that we were presented with. If you haven't tried Mediterranean food the art of meze is truly delicious. We will be returning!!!

Reviewed 5 March 2015 via mobile

Decided to try somewhere new when going for a meal with the better half , had never tried Lebanese style cooking before so wasn't sure what to expect , can't believe I've been depriving myself for so long , food was amazing , so was the service and reasonably priced couldn't of asked for more will definitely be returning soon

Reviewed 1 March 2015

A party of six of us dined here on a Saturday evening and we were all very impressed by the quality of the food and the friendly, efficient service. We even received a complimentary chicken dish, courtesy of the chef. Unfortunately, I couldn't manage much of this myself as I had just about finished a very generous and flavoursome dish of Moussaka. The restaurant is stylish but still manages to retain an atmosphere of informality. For anyone who loves Greek/Near Eastern cuisine, I would definitely recommend Damas.

Reviewed 1 March 2015

I went with colleagues, I have had Middle Eastern food before and have enjoyed it, however I expected more Greek food on the menu- however the menu was limited, mostly lamb which I can't abide. I fancied some Greek souvlaki but was disappointed to find everything was halal. The food that came wasn't as good as olive and time up the road, and the wine is the same as the 2 for a fiver you get in costcutters, the only saving grace was the ability to use taste card! The waiter was odd too