“Bento Beauty”

Price range: US$19 - US$96
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: SAMSI has been trading for 19 years in April, specialising in Japanese cuisine and food stuff. It began as an award-winning restaurant, which quickly expanded into four different cities in the North west of England. In response to customer request we began importing and selling ingredients in retail sizes while continuing to search Japan for the highest quality restaurant ingredients. We research every country for trends in Japanese dining in restaurants, hotels, and in homes. From the UK, we can supply worldwide reliably. Our recent expansion has been the manufacture of Japanese ready-meals in noodle, bento-lunchbox, and sushi packs. These have been developed with Manchester Metropolitan University. The taste test studies carried out by the university supported our ideal that the ready meals are restaurant quality. We not only deal with food products, but we also provide tableware to assist you in experiencing the most authentic Japanese style.
Reviewed 28 March 2016 via mobile

Absolutely love Samsi. Have brought a few groups of friends here and they always love it.

Love the seafood bento box. Totally ticks all of the right boxes. Can't wait to come again.

Reviewed 26 March 2016

Met friends to dine and they took us here. Service was excellent and very accommodating, the food was very tasty and there was lots of it, and it was a very comfortable place to sit and relax over food and wine. We picked up the tab and it was, I thought, very good value.

Reviewed 14 March 2016

This is my second review for Samsi although I've been quite few times in between... Not sure I'm going to return though! I ordered the sukiyaki which was quite frankly inedible. I foolishly didn't complaint but it was clear from the barely touched dish that I had not enjoyed it. It was sweet, cloying deeply unpleasant and the 'steak' was tough,tasteless and as far removed from steak as you can get. My son had sushi and a Katsu dish both which he said were really good. I'm sorry that this time Samsi got it so wrong as we've enjoyed some good meals here, perhaps this was just an off night.

1  Thank Janeoundle
Reviewed 2 March 2016

We had a really odd experience here, and it was such a shame as we were given a very warm greeting on arrival.

As a vegetarian, I wanted to order vegetable noodles with the addition of tofu. This is never normally a problem, and noodles with only veg can be pretty dull. However, the waitress was adamant that this could not be done, even when I made clear I was happy to pay extra. I finally went for the tofu sukiyaki, which at £10.95 was not cheap. Unfortunately it was horrendous, with cloying sweetness being the dominant flavour. My partner had a very uninspiring noodle soup dish which was no better than something we'd whip up at home, and again, too expensive for what it was. Despite being hungry I ate very little of it. When I politely told the waiter who came to take our plates that it hadn't been very nice, he looked apologetic but unsure how to handle it, and vaguely indicated I could order something else. As it wasn't clear whether I would have to pay for this and as it was late, I declined.

I love Japanese food and eat it regularly, but this was without doubt the worst Japanese food I've eaten in the UK. What was really galling was that the restaurant was significantly more expensive than the places we normally got to, and we were expecting something a bit special. What was baffling was that the staff were really nice, but just completely unaware of how to deal with any type of deviation to the menu or complaint.

1  Thank HungryHeath
Reviewed 28 February 2016

I have been there several times for lunch. The quality of food is good and consistent. The manager is always very kind and helpful. I love sushi and sashimi, never missed in my order but also tempura, temaki, yakiudon, katsu chicken, and I like the brown rice tea. Definitely a place that I suggest and I will keep on going when I have a chance. Not secondary, it offers good value for money. Other Japanese restaurants are more expensive but that extra paid is not balanced out.