“Maybe the Best Food in Manchester”

Hadramout Restauarant
Ranked #498 of 2,389 Restaurants in Manchester
Reviewed 5 September 2017

When I lived in Manchester it was close to the Hadramout, which I use to eat at occasionally and always thought the food to be great. So when I brought my Javanese wife to the UK I was keen for her opinion, not least as she is a really good judge of food. We ate in many restaurants including the nearby La Qila and some expensive ones in the centre of Manchester, but the Hadramout was undoubtedly the best food we had in the UK. I was so pleased we visited as it was our last free night and we had thought of returning to La Qila or the Punjab as she wanted Pakistani or Indian food.
Don't expect wonderful surroundings when visiting the Hadramout, its just a café, the upside being the prices reflect this. However, the upstairs Yemani room and family rooms are a little more upmarket than the downstairs café. There are also facilities for wadu upstairs. It's not even on the main Wilmslow Road, but up a scruffy side street, don't let that put you off as the staff are friendly and welcoming. Although they did seem to be overly friendly to my wife, including a young waiter who kept winking at her, my wife had not grasped to not smile at everyone as she does in Indonesia, maybe she would have worn a hijab (jilbab), something she would never do in Indonesia!
Being a creature of habit I had mixed grill which included succulent lamb and chicken pieces and a seek kebab. My wife had lamb mandi which was wonderful. The portions are massive, even for the UK, where they are twice what we are use to in Indonesia. So the great value is even better.
If visiting Manchester I urge you to give the Hadramout a try, the food really is that good and whilst not fine dining you are sure to be impressed. If you live in Manchester give it a try when next on curry mile, of course, its not as spicy as the normal Punjabi fare, but its cooked and seasoned to perfection.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

It was nice really nice, I loved the Kabsah and the Mandi. Rice and spices are just on point
Its an Arabic yemeni restaurant :)

Reviewed 6 August 2017

My first visit, what a find a good selection of Yemeni dishes plus other Arabic dishes, had a lovely lunch, the food I had was great, I'm definitely going back. Inexpensive and great value for money.

Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

A few 'normal' restaurant tables on the ground floor or go up the stairs to large oriental 'salon' where you sit on the carpeted floor or alternatively choose to sit at simple tables in curtained-off booths. The decor throughout is very basic - curtains separating booths and across the entrance held up on a length of string, and thin plastic sheet from a roll used to cover tables but the food is wonderful.

Complementary lamb broth was served immediately while we were perusing the menu. It didn't look much but it was full of flavour, mildly-spiced and had us yearning for the recipe. Chicken Fahsa described as 'hot, bubbling dish with chicken and mashed vegetables with spices' turned out to be a revelation. Served with an oval of home-baked bread with which to scoop it up (no forks/spoons à la Yemeni but am sure they'd find some if you asked) it was a divine, thick 'stew'. Muqalqal chicken was good too - drier than the Fahsa, more like a stir-fry.

Not a place to go for a fancy meal; not a place to take your stick-in-the-mud parents/family/friends but fabulous for adventurous types whose focus is the food, the experience rather than the decor.

Reviewed 9 April 2017

This restaurant ticks many boxes the rest of the Curry Mile establishments are having a hard time ticking. Hadramout offers authentic Yemeni cuisine, coupled with genuine Middle Eastern hospitality and a traditional yet welcoming blend of seating. There is even a family section which has booths with curtains, for traditional Muslim families and/or those who don't want to be disturbed.

The best dish would undoubtedly be Lamb Fahsa. Made from inserting shredded pieces of lamb with vegetables into a clay oven for long periods of time, it makes for the most filling winter food. Portion sizes are very big, and prices very comfortable.

Visit close to evening/sunset, to be welcomed with complimentary lamb broth.