“Very good pizza's”

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 3 September 2016 via mobile

Very good pizza's. And friendly service. The prices are way to high for a pizzaria. That is my only concern.

Reviewed 6 August 2016

I've been living in France for 6 years now, and have been searching endlessly for a decent pizza without much luck. There's one place that's okay in Nontron where I live, but it's still not "real" pizza like I've had in the U.S. or Italy. I had just about given up hope when I wandered into Donleo a couple months ago while in Perigeux on a shopping trip with my daughters. I'd never heard of it, but we were in the mood for Italian, so we decided to give it a try. First off, we loved being able to see all the different toppings we could choose on a handy little order form we filled out ourselves. There was no chance of any mistakes in the kitchen when we were the ones filling out the ticket. The portions were very generous for a great price, but the best part by far was the fact that the pizza was to die for delicious. I would have happily paid more. The crust was chewy and on the thicker side for French pizzas (more like authentic Italian style), the sauce was good enough that I'd put it in a glass and drink it, and the toppings super fresh and very high quality. And mozzarella cheese! Whaaat! Sad to say, in France, they use emmental cheese on most pizzas, which really grates on my Italian nerves, but what can you say...the French always like to be different. :) IMHO, no one should think of using anything but mozzarella on a pizza. Yet, if you're one of those folks who don't like the authentic Italian style, not to worry. You can get your pizza freak on here too. You choose the sauce, the toppings, and the cheese, and there're plenty of options. I loved this place so much, I kept the menu so I wouldn't forget the name of it. When I came back to town a month later, I pulled that menu out, Google mapped it, and ate there again! And this time I talked to the owner who was a really nice guy. He trained at a special place to learn how to make the pizza as good as it is. And he's spent some time in my homeland (USA), so he's very tourist friendly. I hope more tourists will give his place a shot, because it's absolutely worth it. And parking is abundant, so no problem getting in and out, no messing about. Please go to this place and dig into the amazing pizza. I promise you won't be sorry. Enjoy!

Reviewed 9 June 2016

Just out of the Medieval centre this Pizza Restaurant has pleasant if rather cool minimalist decor and good large pizzas but they seemed poor value at E14.90 cf E7-10 in the medieval centres of northern Italian cities over Easter - and with jollier service. Prices are generally higher in France as I guess it is more expensive to run a restaurant but this seemed a little out of line.

Reviewed 23 May 2016

Great pizzas, and love the fact that they are a pizzeria concentrating on pizza (just like in Napoli), with a sensibly limited selection of sides, salad and drinks. The wines we tried were perfect for pizza and €4-5 a glass.

Service at lunchtime (Friday) was slow, with only one guy waiting on the whole restaurant, but that didn't matter for us. The waiter (owner?) was very pleasant, helpful, accommodating and friendly :-)

I had heard about the ordering system from the person who recommended Donleo to me; "Best pizzas in Périgueux but annoying ordering system - maybe they will have changed it by now?" (The general consensus across town and seemingly on TripAdvisor) Well, they haven't. God knows why they stubbornly stick to their ordering cards, which customers are repeatedly telling them they don't like. The cards must cost loads to print. They're not difficult to understand, just annoying and not intuitive. People love the pizza but wish the ordering system was scrapped. Why not have just a few Italian classics with optional extra toppings? Having to go up to the till to pay (but not having been advised of this and consequently waiting for ages for a bill that never arrived) was a further mild irritation.

Another issue is the toppings selection. It is good (waaaaay better than any other pizzeria in the area - thanks guys), but could still be improved. For instance, why have we got anchovies in vinegar on pizzas? They should be salted anchovies. Where is the option for chilli or fresh garlic or spinach? Why not these more normal Italian toppings when there are French toppings like walnuts, duck, emmental, raclette and pineapple? Maybe they think locals aren't ready to see a pizza menu without duck and emmental?

A suggestion: aperitivos. Italians are mad for them. A Negroni might be a bit much to expect from Périgueux, but I was surprised not to see Aperol spritz on the menu, especially having read that the pizzailo is Italian. I'm sure local French people would love these.

So, all in all highly recommended, with a couple of niggles that would be easy to fix if the owners wanted to address them. I agree it's the best pizza in town.

Reviewed 22 May 2016

There are several reviews below that bemoaned the confusion of ordering at this pizzeria. I have to thank the TripAdvisor community, because reading those reviews didn't deter us from visiting, but it did help us when we arrived. And that made all the difference.

Here's the scoop - they want each person to order their own pizza. They don't want sharing. But that's okay. If you don't want to share, order a Pizzetti (small flat bread style) and you'll be fine. If you insist on a whole pie, you will order one per person. If you don't want to do that, go somewhere else.

After that, it's easy. Fill out a piece of paper with what you want on your pizza (or pizzetti) and the waiter takes it and you're good to go. It's easy. You pick your sauce, you pick your three ingredients, and then they have a category for 2 free "extras" (like fresh parmesan slices, or fresh basil).

It's good pizza, served quickly, and priced right. If you know the deal when you walk in, you'll be fine!