“Great location, friendly staff, clean all ok”
Review of Hotel Le Maxime

Hotel Le Maxime
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Auxerre
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

Right by the river close to the old town, this is what makes the Hotel special. It is clean with friendly staff and even has a parking garage. The rooms and breakfast are average, nothing wrong with it, though, if you only plan to stay a short while.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Maxime

Reviewed 25 May 2017

We enjoyed our one night stay in mid-May. We had a nice size room on the first floor overlooking the river. The double windows helped with the somewhat busy street. It worked well. The room had a mini fridge, which is always nice when traveling from town to town, and a good size bathroom. Secure parking was available in the back. We liked the location with the river and some benches across the street, easy access to this amazing old historic town, and access to several near-by restaurants. Staff was sparse but helpful when we checked in and out. All in all it was a pleasant, albeit short stay, and we would likely stay again. I feel the only reason it didn't deserve a fifth star was that there were a couple of large areas of the room ceiling with peeling paint, and some major mold in a couple of places (or what we took for mold given how it looked). I presume that's simply the nature of older buildings, especially near rivers and such. So, I don't want to be too harsh. If in the Auxerre area we certainly would include this on our list for a return visit.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2017

We had stopped in Auxerre on past trips, stopping for coffee or lunch en route from somewhere to somewhere, and decided the town was worth a longer visit. We purposely looked for a hotel on the river since that seemed such a lovely base from which to wander around town, so we opted for Le Maxime. I am glad we did. This is an old world hotel, no glitz, but full of character and very comfortable. We had a room on the 2nd floor overlooking the river. I highly recommend spending the extra Euros for the view which is delightful. And while there may be traffic during the day, it dies down in the evening. The staff was very helpful in both suggesting places to eat and providing other helpful info about the town. The hotel has limited private parking, at a fee. The room itself was very comfortable, and looked to have been recently redecorated. All in all a lovely place for a stay in Auxerre in walking distance from the heart of the town.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the river. For quiter rooms, the rooms in the back are likely better.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2017

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel, and I've enjoyed it both times. It is a very classic hotel, with a lovely view of the river if you stay on that side. This time, I was a little disappointed that I didn't get the river view. And I had a few issues with the shower door in my room. But, besides that, the staff is awesome and the environment is very calm and relaxing. If I'm ever in Auxerre again, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2016

We were driving from the Ardeche Forest to Paris and needed a stopover fairly close to Paris; we have been to Auxerre before and thought an afternoon/evening here would be pleasant. We also needed secure parking so we didn't have to unpack the car (we had been traveling for two months at this point) and twin beds because I was just recovering from elbow surgery from a vacation accident.

The reception folks were very helpful, even carrying bags since I couldn't manage them myself and we had secure parking as requested and left most of our stuff in the car. The room was comfortable and pleasant with the twin beds requested. Breakfast was ample and pleasant.

The location is fabulous. It is right on the river and below the Cathedral. We were able to stroll to the historic center, visit the Cathedral, find a nice place for dinner and then stroll back to the hotel through picturesque streets.

Excellent Experience.