“Amazing luxury and comfort”

Review of Chateaufort

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Chateau -
9 Bedrooms, 9 Bathrooms, Sleeps 18
Tours, Loire Valley, Centre-Val de Loire

Reviews from our community

Excellent - based on 26 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
French first
Any
pt999999
London
“Amazing luxury and comfort”
Reviewed 24 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013

We have travelled extensively in France and I can't recommend Chateaufort highly enough. We spent a long weekend there in Mid-August and we were all so impressed that i felt compelled to write this review.
LOCATION
Not far from Tours (therefore more accessible from the UK than many places further south but also I imagine better weather than Normandy), it is very easy to find with many local places of interest to visit. Unlike many Chateaux, although it enjoys wonderful grounds and an outstanding pool, it is within ten minutes walk of the beautiful historic village of Langelais.
CHATEAU
The Chateau itself is very well laid out, comfortable and luxurious with many gorgeous rooms where I can imagine a larger group having cocktails or a wonderful (20 seat) dinner. The rooms are large, tastefully decorated in French Chateau style with modern bathrooms. Overall, I think Chateaufort would be ideal for a wedding or other large family celebration. I would love to return in a big group and there are plenty of activities apart from the wonderful pool to fill more than a few days (archery, boules, table tennis).
FOOD
Perhaps the most surprising and impressive part of our stay was the food. Breakfast was wonderful, continental style in the breakfast dining room, with home made yoghurt and wonderful fruits and of course French bread and eggs and charcuterie. However, it was the two dinners we had at the Chateau which were the surprise: unlike many French Chateaux, where the gardien and his wife are on hand to cook very traditional country French food, the food at Chateaufort is easily comparable to the best restaurants in London, with many of the ingredients sourced from the Chateau's own vegetable garden, cooked in a thoroughly modern and fresh manner. If you visit, I urge you to spend some evenings sitting outside eating John and Caroline's amazing cooking.

Overall, a wonderful trip for couples, a group of friends or family. Highly recommended.

Your age range 35-49
Jasmine B
London, United Kingdom
“grandeur with a personal touch”
Reviewed 11 June 2013 for a stay in April 2013
person found this review helpful

My husband and I visited chateaufort April, 2013 with our 4 young children. Upon first approaching, we were amazed at the grandeur of the property. It sits on 22 acres of beautiful landscape and the building design looks like something in a fairy tale. The bedrooms and reception rooms are impeccably decorated with a mix of modern and traditional decor that really suits. It is the ideal way to experience French living.

We like to keep the children busy during the days and there was plenty to do. On the sunny days, the children played on the trampoline, a little archery and mostly exploring the vast number of nooks on the vast property. A short drive away are the Villandry gardens and a wonderful zoo. On the rainy days (there can be in April), we visited the Aquarium and did walking tours in the nearby historic chateaus. There was something to do around town every day of our two weeks there!

In the evenings, we enjoyed a mix of some elegant, Michelin starred restaurants and some casual family style restaurants. There is a large selection of shops and restaurants within walking distance from the chateau and a few, more elegant ones just a short drive away.

Of course, eating out is not really necessary when you have John and Caroline looking after you. John's cooking was top quality. John is a trained chef in his own right and home cooked meals here take on a whole new meaning. Both of them took wonderful care of our entire family - preparing breakfast, lunch, dinner as needed, keeping the place clean and well stocked and providing ad hoc tours of the area. We felt well looked after.

Overall, our 2 weeks here flew by and we have such great memories. There was something for everyone and every kind of weather. This is holiday destination that can't go wrong. We recommend it highly.

Jane H
“A luxurious break in the Loire”
Reviewed 14 May 2013 for a stay in May 2013
person found this review helpful

I have just enjoyed the most fabulous break at Chateaufort. It really is the most luxurious place . John and Caroline who manage the estate were fabulous. On booking I was specific in my dietary requirements and preference for fresh healthy low fat meals. The food was totally delicious. John is a fabulous cook. Caroline arranged for me to have my own personal trainer during my stay- This was far better than any health spa ! After a jog around the grounds I was able to relax in my wonderful bath in large en suite . I stayed in Delacroix. I'm definitely returning. This autumn sees the completion of their gym and treatment room..... Book now! It's a jewel.

Libor
New York City
“Luxurious Trip to France”
Reviewed 7 May 2013 for a stay in August 2012
person found this review helpful

My husband and I had the great pleasure of spending a week at Chateaufort last August. It was a wonderful and unique experience. We and our two toddlers visited from New York, and used Chateaufort as our home base to explore Loire Valley. Once there, we didn't want to leave the chateau to explore too much though!

The chateau -- the word "mansion" would be more descriptive for us Americans -- is straight out of French movies set in the era of royalty. Gorgeous, huge, perfectly decorated in the traditional French style. Vast compound to explore -- forests, beautifully manicured lawns, a fresh vegetable garden. We went jogging around the vast 22 acre compound in the morning, occasionally dabbled in archery, went exploring hidden caves, picked fresh tomatoes and berries in the garden everyday. We would lounge around the swimming pool occasionally while the kids jumped around the trampoline.

The bedrooms, living rooms, bathrooms were fantastic. Everything was beautifully decorated. The plumbing, kitchen, heating worked perfectly and were the equivalent of a 5-star hotel. We have rented houses in the Hamptons in New York, in Hawaii, in Costa Rica. While every place is unique and have their own attractions, I can safely say that Chateaufort takes luxury living to a new level, with the added charm of all things French.

Chateaufort is located in a quaint little town and is a good base to explore the beautiful Loire valley. All the castles and vineyards, picnicking, exploring, eating, restaurants. It was very easy for us to get to, as well. Flying into CDG (the main airport in Paris), there is a frequent express train that took us to the nearest big town with an hour.

And, of course, John and Caroline. They live in the compound in their own house. They are the wonderful caretakers. Supremely attentive and yet appropriately restrained. They are British, but have lived in France for the past couple decades. We don't speak a word of French, and they were our guide in so many ways. They keep the house impeccable, and they took care of us. John is an absolutely fantastic chef -- and we were treated to high-end lunches and dinners. John taught us archery. Caroline was lovely and gracious enough to look after the kids at night when we went into town. They thought of everything to make our stay perfect.

I can't recommend a French vacation at Chateaufort enough. It was a wonderful experience, and we can't wait to go back there again with a big group of friends. For Americans, this is the perfect introduction to the grandeur and charm of Europe, France, and Loire Valley in a luxurious high-end manner.

Yvonne W
London, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely holiday”
Reviewed 6 May 2013 for a stay in August 2012
person found this review helpful

This is an absolutely stunning property . The pool area is perfect and relaxing in the summer heat. The rooms are spacious and luxuriously decorated with nice views. Jonathan and Caroline were lovely and accomodating. I would recommend having them prep your meals - the food was fresh, tasty and beautifully presented.

Rooms Location
Cleanliness Service
Travelling group: Family
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing