“Good quality steak and vegetarian meal in Epernay!”
Review of L'Oeil de Boeuf

L'Oeil de Boeuf
Ranked #10 of 79 Restaurants in Epernay
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2017

We ate here for the first time, dining on a 200 gram fillet steak with chips. It was cooked to perfection and very tasty.

My wife, a vegetarian, who always struggles in France was delighted to be able to order a vegetarian burger which looked fresh (not packet items) and would shame a number of UK restaurants on taste.

Desserts were mainly ice cream which was fine for us. Add a large selection of wines and champagnes - whats not to like?.

I admire them keeping the menu simple (mainly beef) but with quality execution. We would definitely return.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

We came here for lunch at the end of the lunch service time. We had the Veau which was very tender and served in a sauce. Others had escargot casserole and also rangeons de veau (kidneys in sauce). The desserts are very lovely and tasty too. Service is professional and we were well looked after even if we were the last in the restaurant.

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

Fantastic dinner in Epernay, by far the best place in town.
The filet with seared foie was an absolute delight; cooked to perfection and accompanied by an amazing sauce (not a big fan of food covered in sauce, but this was phenomenal).
Recommend making reservations, our first time in Epernay we walked in and they were fully booked.
The terrace in the back is lovely, you have to ask specifically for it with reservation (smoking area thou).

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Highlights of our meal were the duck liver pate, the snail brioche, the beef steak in a champagne sauce, the white truffle filled Brie and the Charlotte dessert...so, most of the meal! Staff let us in even though we arrived early and we're very helpful. The restaurant is a little lacking in atmosphere, but you can get a good meal!

Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

Visited Epernay with my daugther late June. As we are inland we skip seafood and go for the meat! The restaurant claims to be a beefhouse and served us a "mixed grill plate" and a "house beef plate" full of great meats! As they asked how I would like my meat cooked I expected I would get my meats "medium" As a courtesy, chef added a sign on the meat he didnt cook medium but raw with a sticker saying "Saignant"= bleeding/raw in english. Appreciate the effort but if you are asked how you want your meat cooked, answer medium and part of it comes back "Saignant"/raw, even if all the rest of the meats were cooked to perfection I wonder what kind of statement the chef is doing? He/she doesnt know I LOVED my meats hardly touched by the grill 20 years ago?
But not now. My taste have changed with age. If a restaurant ask how you want the meat to be cooked, I expect that they listen to me. Otherwise dont ask.
The welcoming was great! Was seated immediately, drinks ordered. Serviceperson was pretty stressed and tipped over my aperitif drink: a Kir Royale. We, daugther and I used our napkins to sweep of the colerful drink off the table to keep it of our clothes. 20 minutes later I asked if someone maybe could replace my lost Kir Royale? Had to ask 4(!) times to get my daugther a glass of Champagne.
This is a place developing. I know this is a hard job. But when you pay 32 Euros for a main, you expect it to be great, not good. And service.... Hope you guys get back on track because this was BAD You guys got a great concept, dont ruin it!