“An unexpected experience ”
Review of L'Axel

L'Axel
Ranked #1 of 160 Restaurants in Fontainebleau
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

We booked our reservation well in advance. They said they had a table available and we confirmed our reservation. When we arrived we learned that they had not registered it. It was not quite clear if it was because we had not answered their questions in full or if it was because they did not read email (We had not answered their questions in full, actually. They asked in the mail "what time and how much". Seven thirty we answerd, and pleace let us know if you have any more questions. We had already said twice that we were two and believed the next part of the question to be an error, not a question of how much. How much of what, food, vine?). It was in any case clearly our fault we did not have a table, since we had not called to confirm that they had received our confirmation of the reservation. It is an honest case to lose a reservation. In my view however it is not acceptable for a restaurant of this standard to blame the costumer for doing so.

Reviewed 6 January 2018

I had dinner together with others as part of group booking of 20 people, so the restaurant was booked for our group only that night. It has 4 tables of which caters up to 6 people.
The restaurant location is in the centre of Fontainebleau, only few hundred meters from our hotels.
We have 5 course menu and each came with a 'wow' factor in terms of taste and presentation; can't fault any of them. They even accommodated some of us who have specific dietary requirement.
The staff are very friendly and explain the detail of the food before serving.
It is a very enjoyable dinner experience.

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

I took my family for lunch, the daily menu was a nice surprise, I remember a perfectly cooked mean. The choices a la carte were also great and the service was really welcoming. The quality price ratio is very good, definitely recommend.

Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

I love food, I don’t mind eating alone in a 5 stars restaurant as long as I have good company in my plate... I ordered the sensation menu, and every platter tasted better than the previous one.
Sensations mix of flavors that is unique in every way... with a Japanese fusion unlike anything I tried before. Bold flavors, Wonderfull texture... and on top of this the service was Wonderfull. Thank you Antoine and Team for the great service!

Reviewed 9 September 2017

Fontainebleau is a favourite with both French and International travellers being reasonably close to Paris. It also has a culinary secret - a restaurant owned and run by its chef. He is Japanese and has two restaurants, one a traditional Japanese restaurant and the other, L'Axel is a French/Japanese fusion which has earned a Michelin star. Well deserved, too! If you want a special meal which balances competing flavours, this is the restaurant to visit. If the 'Pluma de porc Iberique' is on the menu, do not miss it. It is sensational., Check, however, the opening times well inadvance as you need to reserve and the restaurant is not open every day. Just make sure you visit.