“Wonderful restaurant”

Ranked #322 of 17,739 Restaurants in Paris
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Tour Eiffel / Invalides
Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

Excellent dinner and breakfast and wonderful
Waiters. We were leaving early one morning and had to have breakfast early. They open at six so we immediately marched down to arrive just slightly after six a.m. for a hearty American breakfast. Unfortunately, the cook does not arrive so early. A French breakfast was available but I needed protein so the waiter offered to make our omelettes! Exceptional service – then the baker pulled up as we are sipping coffee and delivered fresh croissants and bread.

Super people and a very lovely restaurant.

Reviewed 1 June 2017

I had originally looked at Paris By Mouth and was going to go to one of their top bistros. It was my first day in Paris, I wanted to be low key and eat very American-like, "early, like 6:30pm" so I asked the manager at my hotel for a recommendation. I originally was going to go to Cafe Saint Germian and he recommended Cafe Varenne. It was very close, a 5 minute walk to where I was staying. I was at first put off because the waiter spoke quickly and move quickly. There were French people having aperitifs next to me and an American family in the room and 2 gals having some kind of meeting over a computer, so it felt informal which was what I wanted.

He put bread and salami in front of me, after I ordered a glass of wine. I then put in an order for salmon tartare, Their menu is deceiving, they have a lot of salads and light foods which was what I was seeking and then have heavier, meatier dishes. Their wines were fantastic. Go for the "hearted" wines on the menu. If you are from the States you may not recognize the place, but they are top notch.For example, they had a Quincy instead of a Sancerre.

My salmon tartare was delicious and full of vegetables and a nicely julienned carrot and celery root. I got a medium glass of wine which was plenty, I would recommend going for the small in case you change your mind and want to try something different but the prices for wine are great.

It was funny, they were busy, slow, then busy. I could tell the staff was getting into the "zone". My waiter finally came over, asked about dessert, he said they had a home-made strawberry pie. I ordered it but was happily surprised, the pie was a tartlet and delicious. If they say they have something on special or for the night, do hesitate, get it.

So for those people who were off-put by the speed, that is just part of a busy restaurant. It has enough variety for everyone, great wines at decent prices and for me hit the spot. They had 3-4 groups of 6+ people come in while I was there. For me, as the first day flying in and having a food/wine packed trip this was a great way to get a delicious, healthy dinner in with a little bit of decadence tacked on.

Reviewed 24 May 2017

Forced to endure a shopping trip to Rue du Bac, the only thing to do was to take respite at Café Varenne. The food was as always up to scratch and promptly delivered. They really know how to run a place and have been doing so consistently for the 8+ years I've been coming. English speakers are welcome and they now have an English menu.

If you are in the area and looking for something to eat that is well prepared and promptly delivered, in an authentic atmosphere, then this is the place. Look at my other reviews and you will see a consistent pattern.

Reviewed 22 May 2017

Located one block away from the Prime Minister’ office and several ministries, this traditional upscale café is usually busy with politicians and civil servants. The sidewalk terrace is a pleasant choice for lunch on sunny days, but the inside setting is cozy and warm. The service is formal with waiters in black spencer and white apron. The menu is a notch more sophisticated than the average bistro with daily specials… so are the prices. We had a delicate pasta with crawfish and a well prepared tartare with nice fries and a good glass of Pomerol wine. Great lunch!

Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

It was located next to our hotel so we decided to venture in it one early morning

The cafe offers the regular breakfast selection but i thought it was a bit too expensive for what we got in terms of selection/quantity/taste

Good spot if you are close by