“TRULY WONDERFUL STUDIO”
Review of Maison Zen

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Maison Zen
Ranked #57 of 185 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Reviewed 18 June 2011

I don't usually write reviews but wanted to share my experience and recommend this hidden gem to a solo / a couple.
It was my first trip to Paris and this place is one of the reasons that I enjoyed my trip so much! I spent few nights here last summer and it could not have been a better experience.
The owners and neighbours were very friendly and helpful. It was extremely convenient for public transportation, less than 5 minutes walk from Gare de Lyon. The studio was very clean, attentively decorated and well furnished. There was free WIFI and air conditioner, too.
I really loved this studio and would definitely stay again :-)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank SPARK412

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Peaceful place. Wonderful friendly owners. Many amenities in the rooms. 5 - 10 minutes walk from Gare de Lyon. Its not a full service hotel, so don't expect a staffed desk 24x7, but the owners were always ready to provide help and answer questions, and you can call them from the room phone - they live in the building too. They also gave us many good restaurant recommendations. (If you love good french breads/pastry, walk to the near-by Ble Sucre!)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank aristo777
Reviewed 17 May 2011

This really is a gem, and I am so glad I stayed at Maison Zen. I will list the good things first, and there are many many, so jump to the end if you want to read just the two things I did not like.
First: The location! A few blocks from the Seine, a few blocks from the Marais, a few blocks from Gare de Lyon, from the Bastille, from Marché Aligre. A bus stop a few meters away, with direct service to the Eiffel Tower, Gare St Lazare and easy access to any other part of Paris.
The house sits on a quiet courtyard, has a lovely garden, in a safe neighborhood, with all the services one could possibly need on the same block or on the next block. A guide de Michelin-rated restaurant on the corner, a lovely canal side bistro one block away, with a rose garden complete with boule-players and picknick-ers.

Then: The apartments! I stayed in no 6, a smartly decked out room, with a good bathroom (even has a bathtub), kitchenette with fridge, micro, toaster, kettle, plenty of plates, cups, glasses and pans, as well as two hotplates, four seats at the bar-table, complimentary tea and they even supply salt and pepper for the one who prefers to cook at home. The TV has 200 something channels, in french, and there is free wifi and a lap top for rent, should you need one. And yes, there is a hairdryer in the bathroom.

Also: It is very clean, and very fresh, and very quiet. The bedlinen and bath towels smelled nice, and worked well. The finish was so fresh it looked like it had been decorated the day before I checked in, it is practial, neat and pretty.

The only two things I can find where I would suggest improvements are the beds and the lack of fire/smoke detectors. When you have kitchens there is always the risk of an accidental fire, and smoke detectors would have helped me sleep better. But then the bed was so narrow I kept falling out of it, so perhaps sleeping better had been bad :)
I did have the option of moving the beds together, the room had two beds, but I couldn´t be bothered. So it wasn´t such a big problem, and if these are my only complaints, you get an idea of how good the standard of this acommodation is!

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet and shaded.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Eaze
Reviewed 24 December 2010

Aloha from Kaua'i!
I was very excited to be making my first trip to Europe, and to the place I'd dreamed about all my life - Paris. It is a very long trip from here in Hawai'i to Paris, but once we finally got there - the very high expectations that I'd had about the place and the people were in actuality - even higher - the places and people were even more wonderful than I could have imagined!
We took the train from CDG to Gare de Lyon and then simply walked to the Maison Zen - bear in mind this was our very first trip to Europe and Paris - it was easy for us to do and I'm sure it would be for others - as long as you don't overpack.
Maison Zen was wonderful, in a "neighborhood" that didn't feel at all "touristy" and closeby many metro stations-- which since it was very cold and wintry, we used many times rather than walking. The flat we stayed in - #4 was beautiful, lovely bed, amazing views of the paris rooftops surrounding Maison Zen and Madame Eanjou was lovely and always helpful if we needed her. I love the whole ambiance of the place - quiet, peaceful, and the opposite of a big touristy hotel. You truly have your own little flat in Paris when you stay here. We loved every minute that we stayed, and while they were working in the stairwell area and outside while we were there - the workmen were always friendly with a "bonjour Madame" when I went by them. We never noticed any noise factors except for the sounds of classical cello being practiced by our neighbor - which leant even more charm to the whole experience.
We are returning to Paris Fall 2011 - and definitely plan to stay at Maison Zen again - I loved every minute we were there and I felt it was the perfect location for us. It isn't a hotel where people are at your beck and call every minute - but if you are independant and enjoy going out and getting a fresh baguette down the street every morning for
petit-dejeuner and the Mono Prix down the street for basic things - plus the wonderful Bastille Market for fresh veggies and everything else - this is truly your own little piece of heaven in Paris!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank koloagirl
Reviewed 22 December 2010

I just got back from my first Paris trip, and finding about this gem of an apt was the best decision I made.
While on the same trip (a little over two weeks), I stayed at a chain hotel (Mercure) in opera, which was not my choice, but it was so...mediocre. Over-priced, small rooms, just all-around not a great bang for the buck.
On the other hand, Maison Zen was paradise-I had my own space, (much bigger than the hotel for less than half the rate (the hotel was 185 euros/night!!! vs Zen being 80/night per person).
Sure, you will have to clean up after yourself (quel horreur!) and there's no free breakfast...but the marche Bastille (farmer's market) is literally a 10 minute walk away...fresh ingredients to last you a week for much cheaper than a restaurant plat du jour.
The proprietor of studio #4, Madame Eanjo, is a very kind and accomodating host and will be there to answer your questions (she even lent me tape and printed out my boarding pass for me).
To sum up, there's internet, it's 5 minutes to Gare de Lyon, a huge central train station connecting you to metro and TGV (high speed trains aka great location), a bath tub/shower and tv, and a spacious bed. The only thing I'd say was the pillows were a bit uncomfortable for my taste but again, that's my taste. There's also a laundromat nearby supposedly but I chose to wash things in the sink and hang dry them on the line provided on the tub.
There is a kitchenette (minus oven), fridge and microwave, utensils, pots, pans, guide books (!) and even tea and coffee! Now how's that for hospitality?
Oh, and a meditation room.
Your slice of peace in Paris.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business