“I wish I could keep it secret...”
Review of Maison Zen

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Maison Zen
Ranked #58 of 190 Speciality Lodging in Paris
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Great location near the Gare de Lyon and Bastille.
Spacious apartment with all you need.
Clean and well furnished; very quiet.
Nothing wrong, great good value for money!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank jacqvan

Reviewed 13 January 2012

This is my 3rd stay at Maison Zen, or, as my apartment is now known "My Open Paris" as it is managed by the lovely Eanjo. However, it will probably be my last stay. The place is absolutely lovely and has improved a lot in the last couple of years, as it has been completely renovated. And, there is lots of helpful information in the binder-book provided in each room. But there are drawbacks:

The noise really is an issue: 1)The place is courtyard-facing and every sound in the courtyard -- including 7am trash collection -- echoes loudly. 2) There was construction going on in the courtyard from morning til dark -- no chance to sleep late or take a mid-day rest. (Last year the construction was going on next to my studio in the common wall with what is now a supermarket!) The place is not really being advertised I think as a peaceful Zen Center so much as just a hotel now. But it has got to be the noisiest hotel ever! 3) There were several very noisy families with very young children yelling loudly every time they were in their apartments and especially at mealtimes and bedtimes. The shouting was continuous and echoed throughout the whole place. I already knew from previous stays the walls are like paper but this noise was coming from another floor! Perhaps there could be some kind of minimum age limit ? 10 and over? Or signs throughout the center asking folks to keep their voices down? 4) There was some sort of plumbing issue somewhere in the place as whenever a toilet flushed it sounded like a waterworks in my studio! Woke me up at night several times. Whatever that noise was is going to take a major project to repair it; I knew it would not be worth complaining about while I was there-- it's not like it was a leaky toilet. It actually sounded like the plumbing in the wall was exploding!

As I noted the studios have all been beautifully refurbished and unfortunately the price has risen as well -- too much for me to return. (These are small studios about 25 square meters or 250 square feet.) I found many apartments in Paris -- and already rented one -- that offer the same nice amenities as Maison Zen/My Open Paris, but for much less money -- at least 20 euros per night less. That adds up to quite a lot over a 1 or 2 week stay!

So: wonderful manager, lovely decor are the positives, but constant construction noise, screaming/shouting guests, ridiculously loud plumbing issue, and a high price for a small studio are the negatives.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
14  Thank Maddietravel
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Very nice place to stay for the family. Well equiped, clean, nicely decorated and beautiful place. Mme Perl is a very kind and helpful lady with 2 beautiful Huskies. Location wise, very near to Gare De Lyon where we took the train to Disneyland. The next day we walked to Notre Dame before getting on the hop-on bus. Pity that our stay in Paris were cut short due to our delayed inbound flight but Mme Perl kept our bookings. Would definitely recommend this place & if ever we were to return to Paris, this would be the place where we would stay again.

Darius

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank dodoyos
Maisonzen, Propriétaire at Maison Zen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2011

Thank you for the appreciation, hope you will come back soon.
Warm regards,
Grazyna Perl

Reviewed 29 October 2011

There are so many positives about Maison Zen. The location is ideal for just about anywhere you want to go, and very near cafes, shops, and the metro. The interior of the hotel's entrance is so peaceful and calm, which is not what I expected since the hotel is on a busy street. Our rooms, numbers 5 and 6, were well-decorated, comfortable, quiet, and clean. There were several little extra touches (well-stocked bookshelf with recent Paris travel guides, coffee press, bus schedule, wifi and more) that made the room not only comfortable but very homey. Our host Eanjo was helpful and professional, from the initial enquiry about the hotel straight on through to our departure. We also truly enjoyed getting to attend a meditation session taking place in the hotel. It was my first time and I got lots of guidance and encouragement, again, thank you to Eanjo. We will visit again!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank kmstorms
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Mme. Perl, a great artist and in charge of this Zen meditation/dharma center that is also a hotel, continues to upgrade this property. The rooms have been redecorated, and there are more of them. This time we stayed for a week in a one-bedroom apartment with full kitchen, washer/dryer and wireless internet for much less than a three-star hotel small room in this part of Paris. Maison Zen is 200 meters from the Gare de Lyon, where you arrive by train from the South of France, and just two stops on the RER from Gare du Nord, where the Eurostar comes in. Reasonable restaurants abound, and the Latin Quarter/Notre Dame are in walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business