“Authentic Yummy French Food in a cozy atmosphere”
Review of L'Assiette Aveyronnaise - CLOSED

L'Assiette Aveyronnaise
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Les Halles
Reviewed 21 October 2012

Try their speciality! It's aligot (potatoes mixed with cheese) and sausage. Sausage is homemade, meaty and non-greasy. They bring a large copper pot to your table. Drawing the aligot high in the air and slapping it down on top of the sausage. Weaving it back and forth until it completely covers the sausage. A very generous serving. We shared one serving and added a side of green beans to round out the meal.
You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed 21 May 2012

L'Assiette Aveyronnaise is a delightful place near the famous Au Pied de Cochon (where you must go for French onion soup). L'Assiette specializes in aligot, which is an amazing combination of fondue and mashed potatoes (they serve it with sausages, and I would suggest getting it that way). Aligot is very difficult to make; I have tried several times and failed because you have to have a specific type of cheese from one small area in France. The restaurant brings it in fresh twice a week. When I asked about all this, the boss brought out a fresh block of it to show me. He comes from a tiny village in the area. They mix the aligot table-side in copper pots and are very proud of their product. We had it when we drove through Laguiole ten years ago, and were very happy to find it in Paris, because we're probably never going back to Laguiole and can't make it ourselves. My foodie wife who pooh-poohs peasant food has made this the one restaurant in Paris she wants to go back to next time we visit.

The other food is excellent too. For example, we had foie gras in a chestnut pepper cream sauce. This is not the standard combination but it was delicious, putting some fancy restaurants to shame with their silly combinations that don't work.

As other reviewers have noted, the prices for food, wine etc. were very reasonable for the quality. The service was warm and friendly. We went along with the house suggestions for wine and dessert. We too were offered an after-dinner drink (schnapps from the country) for free.

This is not a hole-in-the-wall, but I would guess millions of tourists walk right by every year without trying it and that is a shame.

1  Thank TravelAndy
Reviewed 4 May 2012

A nice warm welcome to start made us feel very comfortable.
There was a nice ambiance (busy, the table are quite near each other). I had the aligot, which is served at the table, my girlfriend had the jarret de porc with lentils, both were excellent, the portion were pretty massive (way too big for my girl...).
Nice and conforting!

Reviewed 26 May 2011

My finacee enjoyed her rather large salad. Her sister had the mussles which were also very good. I choose their sausage and sauerkrat plate which was perfect with a large beer.

Reviewed 28 May 2009

We were delighted to find such delicious French cuisine in a casual atmosphere, nice decor, and neighborhood feel with red and white checkered tablecloths. We enjoyed our meals there (which included tasty trout, French wine, and the house specialty called aligot) so much that we ate there 2 out of our 4 nights in Paris! Diane, who was our server on the second night, was especially friendly and attentive (and spoke English), and even served us 2 complimentary glasses of champagne when she found out that it was our last night in Paris! The combination of the tasty food, good value, and great service made this restaurant definitely one of our favorites during our trip to Europe.

2  Thank gndrew