“Good bakery, but it definitely does not make the best sourdough bread in the world”

Boulangerie Poilane
Ranked #54 of 714 Shopping in Paris
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered by many to be Paris's best bakery.
Reviewed 15 January 2018

Poilane makes a legendary sourdough bread. While its Poilâne's sourdough is good, I would prefer a baguette any day. What I love about Poilane are its punitions (butter cookies), which are available from light to dark baking. The dark ones are excellent.

All reviews
"shop"
"parisian"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

I followed google maps to get here and was looking forward to a hot croissant and coffee.

The coffee was delicious but the croissant I didn't enjoy whatsoever. I took it with me and didn't finish it.

There are definitely hit and miss croissant places in Paris.

It seems that establishments either make them traditionally, which is when they're flaky, buttery and with layers and delicious or they're fat, stodgy, without layers and less butter and awful.

1  Thank Belle-Noel
Reviewed 28 November 2017

Our hotel in Paris is a short walk to Poilane. Every day we first stop for coffee then head to Poilane for warm croissants and pain au chocolate. The croissants are like eating flaky butter. They are so delicious.

They are known for their rustic large loaves of bread. This time - since it was close to Thanksgiving - they had loaves of bread on which was superimposed a turkey sculpted from bread and the greeting "Happy Thanksgiving." The bread was a work of art. We always get lots of bags of their butter cookies - punitions - to bring home with us.

4  Thank luvroma2
Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

This lovely elegant and artisanal French bakery is worth a detour. Did you know it supplies many restaurants with its famous sour-dough bread? Don't forget to try the raisin buns. You'll definitely come back for more.

See more reviews
Reviewed 21 July 2017

I was very fortunate to find this place as I toured the area around my hotel. Yes, there is a fine selection of bread here. There is also a selection of items you could choose for lunch. What I really salivated on was the pastries. The eclairs were absolutely awesome! It was very hard to not buy every item they offered. For pastries in Paris, you will want to come here - often!