“Enjoyed but not so much”
Review of Moulin Rouge

Ranked #2 of 257 Concerts & Shows in Paris
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This risqué world-famous cabaret, performed in a 19th-century windmill, has been exciting audiences since 1900.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

The show and the venue itself met expectations. There were so many colorful costumes, singing and dancing numbers, surprise acts like juggling, rollerskating daredevils, and acrobats - and lots of opportunities to celebrate the female form! The Can Can was marvelous. The entertainment portion of the evening was everything we expected for such a famous nightclub. The champagne as part of the package was better than we anticipated and sharing 3 bottles among the 6 of us lasted throughout the performances.

Seating was challenging, with 6 jammed into a table meant to hold 4. Although there were menus on the table for additional drinks or appetizers we were never approached for an order in advance of the start of the show, and frankly it seemed impossible for wait staff to attempt to get in between tables to take one.

We understood that the Moulin Rouge does not reserve seating in advance. Upon receiving advice from them via email, we emailed in advance and provided our ticket numbers to request that we be seated together. However, it was obvious that the table assignment was made at the door. Disappointingly, we were seated at a table at the end of a row next to a wait staff staging area. When we asked to be reseated further into the row, just an even swap of tables, we were advised that all tables were preassigned, which is just not accurate.

The most disappointing part of the experience was that the Moulin Rouge allowed patrons to break its published dress code - "Elegant attire required: no shorts, no short-pants, no sport shoes, no sportswear." We saw jeans, tee shirts, sports shoes, more than just casual dress, including leggings in abundance. Such an insult to those of us in the audience who anticipated an opportunity to dress for a night on the town and a true nightclub experience.

We are still satisfied that we took the opportunity to go to a Paris original, but it could have been so much better.

Write a ReviewReviews (11,565)
All reviews
in 527 reviews
"theatre"
in 447 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

I literally can not put in to words how amazing this experience was!

From the outset this was a thrill. Having been shown to our table and served our drinks we enjoy one of the most exceptional musical delights I’ve been lucky enough to experience. The singing was marvellous, the costumes were breathtaking, and the atmosphere was just out of this world.

A sheer delight from start to finish, I couldn’t recommend this highly enough! An absolute must see if you can.

1  Thank Sooooty
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

What a great show! I'm glad we decided to buy tickets for this eventhough we thought they were quite expensive. After the show my friend and I both admitted that the show was definitely worth for the price we paid.

The venue was fantastic, champagne good, service was top class and the dancers; both men and women looked gorgeous. Our table was located just by the stage so I guess we were quite lucky.

I truly enjoyed all the dancing, music and costumes, basically all of it, apart from the animals used as part of the show. It did not look like the snakes enjoyed their performance much. And the ponies, I'm just wondering why? There were not even any kids to please... I personally don't think ponies, or any other animals should be on stage. And this is why I'm only giving 4 stars out of five.

The show was definitely the highlight of my trip to Paris. Not sure if I would go again, but I will recommend the show to my friends and colleagues (+ I won't forget to mention the animals on stage). I think people should be aware of the animals being used as part of the show so that everyone can make their own decision whether they are OK with it or not before buying the tickets.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We had booked the early show which was full so we had to change for the 23.00 show. Queuing was a bit of a wait but all these shows are like this. We were seated near the stage and my back was to the stage so I eould have to turn around to see the show which would not have been too bad. The table seated six. Tha last couple came in and refuse to even sit down because one would have had there back to the stage so they were taken off to another table. So that left the seat beside the wife free so I moved over and had a great seat. I the champagne was nice. And the show was really good. There is some good seats in the house so for the extra few bucks it might be worth splashing out.

See more reviews
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Seating is at little tables like a restaurant and waiters swarm in to serve drinks, the setting is opulent and perfect for the show.

The costumes were bright and glitzy, sadly the dancers were not particularly in time and the choreography was not great. It was hard to understand the point of most of the dances. The highlights of the show however were the incredibly talented duets; the roller skaters, the hoop and the male gymnasts- all were jaw-dropping good.

The point of the two people suspended and motored out over the audience and back, and the Shetland ponies however was completely lost on me.