“Hotel soured an otherwise wonderful vacation”

Hotel Saint-Louis en l'Isle
Ranked #699 of 1,802 Hotels in Paris
Reviewed 7 September 2017

Upon arriving via a very wonderful and efficient shuttle, we were greeted by a very odd person called Bernard. We were tired and wanted to get settled. Bernard proceeds to take about 30 minutes to get us checked in !!! He makes fun of guests as they walked through the lobby - very strange and scary person. Our room was on the first floor and according to the listing we responded to , was suppose to have air-conditioning. We were shown the air-conditioner controls and we assumed that it worked. The room was very warm when we entered but we assumed it was because it had been closed up. We unpacked and set out to explore Paris. Upon returning we tried to cool down the room to no avail. We could not leave the windows open as we were ground floor and anyone could climb over a 3 foot plexiglass guard on the window. Needless to say - we did not sleep well at all. The next morning I informed Bernard about the air conditioning not working. He stood up - made a dramatic performance of walking to the lobby air conditioner control - slapped the control a few times and said, " I know nothing about fixing air conditioners!" I asked him if he could call to have someone fix it and he said he would. Four hours later he still had not called and obviously he never did! Upon returning to the USA we discovered other people had complained about no air a month before we arrived! They knew it was not working when we checked in and did absolutely nothing to remedy the situation. I am 72 years old and have never been treated so badly by any hotel in my life! Because of the situation I had what we call "prickly heat" all over my body. I actually dreaded returning to our room each evening because it was hotter inside our room than outside. Deplorable condition! Ruined my vacation but stuck it out because this trip was for my daughter and granddaughter. I will never stay there again because of the terrible PR shown to us. If you advertise having "air" and it breaks down - then at least inform us of the situation so we have a choice of staying or leaving. Not being told the truth I cannot abide. Now for the plus side of our stay. Location was fantastic with restaurants and sights so close. The shuttle service was on time both ways and the drivers were awesome. Shower in our room was wonderful but using it made our room hotter. The Parisians were so friendly and helpful everywhere we went outside the hotel. Love Paris but have bad taste in my mouth from the stay here.

Room Tip: obviously do not take a ground floor room in case the air goes out! At least on upper floors you ca...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 September 2017

THis is a very Quaint hotel in an historic building. One of the most unique configurations I have ever seen, but definitely not for anyone with a handicap, as the elevator stops between floors. You have several steps to go up or down from the elevator to the rooms. No doubt the elevator (which will only fit two people) was added in long after the hotel was built. The rooms were very nice and comfortable (but small by modern standards). The rooms were very clean and we found the bed very comfortable (on the firm side). I noticed a previous review complained about being hot, but there was a thermostat in out room that ran an air conditioner making the room temperature perfect for our desires. The staff were friendly and accommodating and booked tours for us. We had friends who recommended this hotel to us and I am sure glad they did. The location is perfect, in a quaint neighborhood and just a short walk to Notre Dame.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2017

This hotel is located on Isle Saint-Louis and close to Notre Dame Cathedral. Our room was in the Attic, access via a lift and with 2 balconies typical of Paris room was small and well appointed, it was very clean and well equipped wifi, TV, AC all worked and room is well maintained. Great friendly Staff. Bed was comfortable and slept well. Hotel is only a few steps away from great restaurants and cafes, will access to several metro stops getting around Paris so easy, we walked as weather was sunny and warm, making use of the open air cafes around Paris, would recommend and will stay again !! Many thanks for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in Attic
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2017

Location can't be beat. Easy access to everything you want to see, in a charming neighborhood with lots of great restaurants and shops, creperies, Berthillion ice cream, boulangeries, grocery, you name it, it is steps from your door. I loved this neighborhood and can't imagine ever staying elsewhere now. There is always free entertainment on the Pont Saint Louis, and it's just an amazing neighborhood. Rooms are very clean, and the shower is great! Great water pressure and plenty of hot water...wonderful after a day of walking all over Paris. Hotel staff, with the exception of one individual, was very kind and helpful. The hotel's shuttle service to and from the airport was very convenient. Yes, you can get a cab for cheaper but you can't beat the convenience. Our drivers were both right on time and very accommodating.

Besides the great location, I chose this hotel because it had air conditioning. It's purely a matter of comfort for me, but for my 72 year old mother it is really an essential thing. However, during our visit, the air conditioning in our room did not work. When we informed the front desk person, he really didn't care. He was sort of an odd duck who seemed to enjoy annoying guests of the hotel He put on a big dramatic show of saying he would get it fixed, but he was obviously insincere and it was never fixed during the 8 days we were there. It would not have been bad if we could have kept our window open, because the temps were cool in the evening, but we had a ground level room that faced the street and only a 3 ft high or so plexiglass barrier at the bottom of the window so we could not keep it open while we slept. Anyone walking on the street would see right into our room and could easily hop over the plexiglass to get into the room. As a result, it was stifling hot in the room at night. After the first evening my mom asked for a fan, which they gave her, which at least circulated the air in the room, but it was still very hot. It really put a damper on an otherwise nice stay, and because of this I would select another hotel on the island the next time I visit. After checking reviews on another site, I saw that several reviewers complained about the air not working at least a month before our stay, and they obviously never bothered to fix it. Really blew me away to see that since when we stayed they acted like it was was a recent occurrence.

Rooms are very small but that was not unexpected. There is really not room for large luggage..you basically have 2 or three feet on either side of your bed. This wasn't a big deal to us but if you are expecting an American sized hotel room you will be very disappointed.

Room Tip: Avoid first floor rooms if you want to keep your window open.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2017

This is a bit late so forgive us as we are retired. We stayed here for two weeks in September 2016. My wife and I are now reminiscing about our stay. The hotel was special with a great shower and location. But, above all, what made our stay special was the kindness and helpfulness of the staff, From the time we were picked up at the RR station, the service was great. We would particularly like to site Denis and Bernard who graciously put up with my fractured French. When one day I said "Nous allons laver nos singe" (Translation: We are going to wash our monkey) they pointed out what I should have said was linge which is laundry in English. They must have noticed that we didn't have a monkey with us. Pleasant memories and hope to get back once again and maybe next time we'll bring a monkey!!

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple