“Classic food, classic setting!”
Review of La Petite Chaise

La Petite Chaise
Ranked #713 of 17,520 Restaurants in Paris
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Saint-Germain-des-Pres
Reviewed 6 June 2017

I sought out this restaurant because I read that it was the oldest restaurant in Paris, and I was not disappointed! It was easy to find and not far from some lively Left Bank shopping areas. They serve classic French food in a quaint, cute setting. I did not have to wait at all for a table, the service was excellent, and the food was some of the best I enjoyed during my weeklong stay in Paris. Prices are a bit more expensive than a typical cafe, but the dining experience is worth it! I came for lunch and ordered just an entree, rather than an entire main plat or a multiple course meal, and it was enough food for me, but someone with a larger appetite might want to go with the plat or with more than one course.

There are newer reviews for La Petite Chaise

Reviewed 6 May 2017 via mobile

Wonderful service and delicious food. Reasonable price for dinner and cheaper at lunch. Wine fairly priced. I understand they "invented" French onion soup, and their's is certainly excellent.

Reviewed 14 March 2017

We spent 2 days in Paris as part of our tour package. This was the restaurant where we had our farewell dinner. The place was elegantly decorated. The food was absolutely delicious, not to mention the desserts. The staff members were very friendly and accommodating. It was a very nice way to end our visit to Paris.

3  Thank Mari S
Reviewed 26 February 2017

I have wanted to go here for a few years because it is one of the oldest restaurants in Paris. The restaurant looks lovely from the outside, and the dining room is classic, simple French design. I got there at 8 for my reservation and noted that I was the only foreigner in the restaurant. This changed over the course of the next hour - young Americans studying abroad, a couple from Colorado who were back for the second night in a row, a few more foreigners and a group of out of town French people filled the dining room. I had the set menu for 36 Euros (plus an additional charge for the rack of lamb). I ordered a Kir as an aperitif and ordered a glass of wine with dinner - and the server brought both at the same time. Instead of a homemade amuse-bouche with the aperitif I was given a small bowl of the kind of appetizer crackers you can purchase at the grocery store (and that I would expect at a much simpler cafe/bar - not in Paris). The goat cheese salad on toast was missing the toast and was nothing special, so the meal didn't get off to a great start. The lamb was lovely, as were the vegetables. I finished with the cafe gourmand, which as others have indicated, was a really nice way to get a taste of several of their desserts. Am I glad I went? Yes. But I probably won't return, simply because of the sheer number of fabulous restaurants in Paris for a little more money....

Reviewed 26 February 2017

On my first night in Paris, I walked to this historical restaurant (reputed as the most antique of Paris), a typical bistro, had soup à l'oignon, magret de canard, and mango and citron vert sorbet for dessert. Everything served perfectly, at a reasonable price (around 50-60 euros with wine (demi-bouteille). You can read about the place's history, going back to the 17th century.