“Great experience”

Price range: US$0 - US$113
Cuisines: French, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Originally from the Sarthe region, Eric Provost started outat Floréal in Savigné l’Evêque. He went up to Paris tostudy at Châteaubriand and then at the hotel George V. In 1986,he flew off to Toronto in Canada to work at Les Colonnes. Ayear later, he returned to his roots in Sarthe at La Feuillantinein Mans, followed by a stunt at Le Moderne before moving onto Laurent à Loué, a Relais & Châteaux hotel.From 1988 to 1998, he worked in some of the world’s best kitchens.
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I've visited this restaurant with a group of colleagues October 31, 2013.
We ALL really enjoyed the dinner.
About pricing: coming from Moscow I treat pricing as not cheap, may be, but really not expensive at all. It all depend what you compare this prices with. My personal rating for the price/performance was Excellent, and nothing less.
I can't provide details and descriptions as simply do not remember as 3 weeks have already passed since my visit. But I still remember that the majority of our group who had fish kept exchanging happy looks describing it as "one of the best they've ever had". I personally had meat for main dish and also was not dissapointed, but happy! ))
When you are in this hotel, I strongly advise you to visit this restaurant for dinner. And coming from some capital cities you will be surprise with great quality for great price.

Laurent-Roussin, Directeur général at L'Etrier - Restaurant du Royal Barriere, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Winner Moscow_Russia,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your experience on Trip Advisor.

The Chef and I are very pleased that you enjoyed your dinner at l'Etrier.

Your comments are very important since they help us to improve our service and quality in order to make each guest experience Unique.

The Chef Eric Provost, the Team and I are looking forward to your next visit in Deauville.

There are newer reviews for L'Etrier - Restaurant du Royal Barriere

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We had to try this one, as we were staying in the hotel. We ate quite early and felt rather too much attention from the staff, albeit well-intentioned! The food was fussy and very expensive, but fun to try just once. The wine mark-up was outrageous.

1  Thank 954Richard
Laurent-Roussin, Directeur général at L'Etrier - Restaurant du Royal Barriere, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Dear 954Richard,

It was disappointing to read that you did not enjoy you meal at l'Etrier.
Our staff is particularly well noted by our guests this year for their efficiency and genuinely welcoming and discrete service that make our guests fell at home, so it was saddening to read that you find them too forward.
Our Chef is sorry that you found the food to be too fussy, although he is as well a bit surprised as he always try to balance his plates and respect his top quality ingredients without drowning them in too much different textures and flavours. Be it on our menus or on our A La Carte.
While it is true that our food comes at a price, it can be easily justified by the quality of the ingredients and the amount of work that goes into their preparation, every thing is home made (including ice creams and bread) and cooked on order.
Regarding our wines, we are within the range of price for this kind of restaurant. Our first price for a full bottle is 30€.

I hope we will welcome you again at l'Etrier

Sincerly,
Directeur

Reviewed 23 September 2012

I did not like the hotel I stayed in while in Deauville, however this was full balanced thanks to L'Etrier !
I just loved everything about it.
We had first a very nice champaign cocktail at the bar which atmosphere is so nice and cozy (and the cocktail was awesome by the way).
Then the dinner was great from starter to dessert, and I am convinced I could have selected anything on the menu and would have appreciated too.
It's not cheap at all,though worth it too me without a doubt,
And I need to go back some day.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

The atmosphere, settting and food was very memorable for all the right reasons, not cheap but worth it for that special occasion

RDdirection, Directeur général at L'Etrier - Restaurant du Royal Barriere, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

Dear 1 smudgie 1,

The Etrier team, Eric Provost and myself are delighted that you had a fantastic time in the restaurant.
Looking forward to have you again soon at l'Etrier.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

Just got back from an amazing experience at L'Etrier. We hadn't booked, but off season fortunately got a table. We were not dressed for the occasion having left half of our clothes at home but staff didn't bat an eyelid which in all fairness they could have done. We were mostly looked after by a very tall, attractive waiter, I don't know his name but he was attentive yet discreet and played host to making our dinner very special. The food and service deserves a star, which I believe it used to have if I understood the previous French reviews. It really is worthy of it. I have worked many years in this industry and believe that this smart yet unpretentious restaurant is one of the best I have experienced. Thank you all for a great evening.

Dear ssh,

Thank you very much for your feedback.
While it is true that we lost our Michelin star this year, we are dead set in claiming it back and your comments encourage us in our efforts.
We hope to welcome you again soon in l'Etrier.