“Superb”

Price range: US$0 - US$114
Cuisines: French, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Originally from the Sarthe region, Eric Provost started outat Floréal in Savigné l’Evêque. He went up to Paris tostudy at Châteaubriand and then at the hotel George V. In 1986,he flew off to Toronto in Canada to work at Les Colonnes. Ayear later, he returned to his roots in Sarthe at La Feuillantinein Mans, followed by a stunt at Le Moderne before moving onto Laurent à Loué, a Relais & Châteaux hotel.From 1988 to 1998, he worked in some of the world’s best kitchens.
Reviewed 13 October 2014

I write this on the assumption that this restaurant is 'La Cote Royal' located in the great Royal Barriere hotel. It provides a first class formal, classic dining experience with the added enjoyment of great sea views. Six of us had lobster ravioli, turbot, tournedos rossini followed by crepes suzette and raspberry macarons. However the wine list was unexpectedly limited, although we were able to order a decent Chablis Premier Cru to enjoy with our meal..

1  Thank Worldwatcher
There are newer reviews for L'Etrier - Restaurant du Royal Barriere

Reviewed 27 December 2013

the setting of the room is very intimate and romantic. The service is excellent and not to mention the menu! The cuisine is creative and at the same time, the portion are well served (not always the case in high end restaurants). We are going there whenver we get a chance. For Sancerre lovers, they have an excellent one!

1  Thank aggie28
Laurent-Roussin, Directeur général at L'Etrier - Restaurant du Royal Barriere, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2014

Dear Aggie 28

Thank you for your feedback on your experience at l'Etrier. The chef and the restaurant manager will pass on your comment to the team.

They both looking forward to welcome you again for the new season, we have a full menu of new dishes for you to try!!

Sincerly

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I've visited this restaurant with a group of colleagues October 31, 2013.
We ALL really enjoyed the dinner.
About pricing: coming from Moscow I treat pricing as not cheap, may be, but really not expensive at all. It all depend what you compare this prices with. My personal rating for the price/performance was Excellent, and nothing less.
I can't provide details and descriptions as simply do not remember as 3 weeks have already passed since my visit. But I still remember that the majority of our group who had fish kept exchanging happy looks describing it as "one of the best they've ever had". I personally had meat for main dish and also was not dissapointed, but happy! ))
When you are in this hotel, I strongly advise you to visit this restaurant for dinner. And coming from some capital cities you will be surprise with great quality for great price.

Laurent-Roussin, Directeur général at L'Etrier - Restaurant du Royal Barriere, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Winner Moscow_Russia,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your experience on Trip Advisor.

The Chef and I are very pleased that you enjoyed your dinner at l'Etrier.

Your comments are very important since they help us to improve our service and quality in order to make each guest experience Unique.

The Chef Eric Provost, the Team and I are looking forward to your next visit in Deauville.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We had to try this one, as we were staying in the hotel. We ate quite early and felt rather too much attention from the staff, albeit well-intentioned! The food was fussy and very expensive, but fun to try just once. The wine mark-up was outrageous.

1  Thank 954Richard
Laurent-Roussin, Directeur général at L'Etrier - Restaurant du Royal Barriere, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2013

Dear 954Richard,

It was disappointing to read that you did not enjoy you meal at l'Etrier.
Our staff is particularly well noted by our guests this year for their efficiency and genuinely welcoming and discrete service that make our guests fell at home, so it was saddening to read that you find them too forward.
Our Chef is sorry that you found the food to be too fussy, although he is as well a bit surprised as he always try to balance his plates and respect his top quality ingredients without drowning them in too much different textures and flavours. Be it on our menus or on our A La Carte.
While it is true that our food comes at a price, it can be easily justified by the quality of the ingredients and the amount of work that goes into their preparation, every thing is home made (including ice creams and bread) and cooked on order.
Regarding our wines, we are within the range of price for this kind of restaurant. Our first price for a full bottle is 30€.

I hope we will welcome you again at l'Etrier

Sincerly,
Directeur

Reviewed 23 September 2012

I did not like the hotel I stayed in while in Deauville, however this was full balanced thanks to L'Etrier !
I just loved everything about it.
We had first a very nice champaign cocktail at the bar which atmosphere is so nice and cozy (and the cocktail was awesome by the way).
Then the dinner was great from starter to dessert, and I am convinced I could have selected anything on the menu and would have appreciated too.
It's not cheap at all,though worth it too me without a doubt,
And I need to go back some day.