“So nice...and so annoying !”
Review of La Petite Auberge

La Petite Auberge
Ranked #8 of 688 Restaurants in Rouen
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 June 2017

The "Le petite auberge" is a very nice and elegant restaurant down town Rouen.
Easy to find if you stay in an hotel in the old city.
Reservation for the dinner (one day before) is reccomended, becuase the restaurant, with its almost twenty tables, is usually full every day.
The atmosphere is very charming....you perceive to be in a restaurant of centuries ago...the tables are wide enough, with nice tablecloth.
I and my wife dined there two nights, the time we stayed in Rouen.
We were looking around for a nice restaurant along the day, but, to be honest, "Le petite auberge" has no competitors with this level of service in down town.
The food is excellent and well cooked, the wines are good as well.......
Seems to be a paradise....
Since you seat at the table you MUST wait 40/50 minutes to be served !!!!
For me is unacceptable.
May be the Owner will learn the lesson...but I'm negative on this.
the owen

1  Thank MarcoVR45

Reviewed 24 June 2017

The food was wonderful. This place could only be improved by having at least a reference menu in English. We got by, but may have missed the best things on the menu as our French is not 100%

1  Thank anonofbiggs
Reviewed 19 June 2017

Sweet restaurant in a traditional setting, extremely busy, they seemed to take covers all at the same time which meant a shortage of menus to give out and delay in taking orders - but they were friendly, hard working and organised, so whilst we waited over half an order to order food we trusted they would get to us and we relaxed with our delicious Sancerre. The food was fresh, delicious (steak with Camembert sauce was amazing) and beautifully cooked (food was a short wait from ordering), staff were great, really friendly and smiley. Fab eve.

2  Thank Catpin9
Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

I'm not going to write a super long review about a detailed dining experience but simply list the pros and cons. Unfortunately, the cons outweigh the pros.

I've heard plenty about this establishment's service, food and traditional ambiance however my experience fell short. Here's why:
- we ordered a set dinner menu with a few choices of starter, main and dessert but each dish took almost 40 mins each to get to our table. I'm not exaggerating, I promise. Normally this wouldn't matter too much but the only seat they had left was outside and it was super chilly so the wait experience was not good.
- when the food finally arrived, it looked sad. I ordered a Tête de Veau for my main since it seemed like a more unique choice. I've attached a picture for reference. So that's about the presentation.
- Taste wise, the meat was drowned in this thick sauce that extremely overpowered the meat. Furthermore, we discovered that there were barely any meat on the plate after digging through the large pile of sauce on top of it! (Three small fork-fulls)

All in all it was not a pleasant dining experience. But to be fair, below are the plus points:
- moderately priced
- friendly waitress recommending nice apple dessert (but sadly also took ages)

Again, I never usually complain about waiting time and all but it really did take incredibly long!

2  Thank Kenny Y
Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

A very busy auberge with helpful staff. The formula menus offer very good choice of local specialities but you need to have a good appetite. It was a warm May evening and it was likewise in the auberge.