All reviews breakfast was delicious attic room welcoming hosts la grande communal table modern bathroom beautiful house yogurt old town perfect location park the car city centre tram comfort
Reviewed 23 October 2012

We have stayed at this B&B on 1 night visiting Le Mans. The owners are amazingly friendly and willing to help you out with your plans for visiting the city. They have good tips and make you feel really welcome.The ''old city'' area was a 10 minute walk with restaurants and bars. We could park the car in a private car park at the end of the street, this was perfect.The room we stayed in was ; La Glycyne. The room was very spacious with a nice bed and a big bathroom with good (rain)shower. The breakfast was superb with everything you could wish for. Amazing stay !

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a week in mid May. Whilst we experienced some pretty dreadful weather – cold, damp and very rainy, this did not impact on the absolute enjoyment and pleasure we found at this delightful B & B and in the town of Le Mans.
In short this was the best 7 days we had in a pretty fabulous 4 week visit to France.
Why, Firstly due to the B & B and more to the point the hosts. Such a welcoming and warm couple. Sometimes you stay in B & B’s and wonder why the hosts decided to open this type of business, but at the Le Clos d’Hauteville, you can actually feel the delight and interest the Duhems have in meeting, getting to know and assisting their guests have the best stay possible in their home and enjoying the lovely town of Le Mans. Each morning we’d look forward to another great suggestion for dinner at one of the many fine restaurants in the old town of Le Mans by Madame Duhem. We enjoy fine dining and we were truly spoilt rotten for choice in Le Mans. Without a doubt we enjoyed some of the best meals we have ever eaten in our lives in this town (and we come from the Hunter Valley which is chock full of great restaurants). We got to sample some of that very fine French cuisine that the country is so famous for. If we had just stayed in Paris (which we did for 10 days, we would never have had the same great value for money culinary experience).
We stayed in the large top floor room which was light and airy, but also cosy and warm. The shower/bathroom is very modern and the room has lots of space to spread out, plus a large TV, some comfy chairs and good free internet connection. The bed is large and very comfortable.
Breakfast is enjoyed downstairs with the other guests around a large table. Fresh tea/coffee, fruit, yoghurt, breads, fresh croissants and a range of spreads are on offer.
We walked to the old town every evening for dinner, in less than 10 mins. I also walked to the train station about 20mins but my husband caught the tram to the motor bike racing each day. And this was initially the reason why we were in Le Mans, but fortunately we choose to stay on and base ourselves here to explore the surrounding areas, a very good decision indeed.
Apart from exploring Le Mans, I also visited via train Chartres – beautiful town with a spectacular cathedral and Angers. Both were excellent day trips to do from Le Mans and the Duhems helped me sort out trains and times. We also had a hire car for a few days and drove around the Loire with a wonderful visit to Villandry and the next day we had a long day, but so worth it when we reached St. Malo, an amazing town.
The B & B provided free secure parking in an underground car park just a few minutes walk from the property. We never got to sit out in the lovely garden due to the weather but the entire property is behind a secure tall wall which makes it quiet and private.
I am extremely glad i selected Le Mans for an extended stay. It is a perfect town to base yourself to explore the Loire Valley but for me the real surprise was the charm of this town. I had done a lot of reading and research before we came and most comments were – okay for a night. What a mistake that statement is. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed Le Mans for the entire week and were sad to leave it. I found some real genuine French warmth here. Had some lovely moments with locals, they were very indulgent with my attempts at French conversation and helpful. We were always made to feel welcome everywhere we went.
I can highly recommend staying at the Le Clos D’Hauteville. The genuine care and concern that the Duhems take in running their B & B is felt from the moment you walk thru their front door. From the first email I exchanged with Mr Duhem, Bernard, he was helpful and efficient. He even offered to collect us from the train station and drive us to the B & B. This was very welcome and appreciated. I thought Madame Duhem was the most charming, kindest and interesting lady I have ever met. We had some lovely conversations and she helped me with my French which was very welcome. Do try and learn a bit of French, it is very much appreciated by everyone you met.
In summary, this is a really fantastic B & B, stay here and enjoy some real ‘ Frenchness ‘ in a beautiful part of the country.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suz003
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed in le clos d'hauteville in August, a two night stay in le mans. What lovely hosts Bernard and christiane, so kind and helpful with ideas and maps for our brief stay. The house superb, a beautiful 1850s French townhouse, elegantly decorated with period features. We booked a superior double which was fantastic, lovely large room with large bathroom and great shower. Although temperatures reached 35 degrees the old stone walls kept the house surprisingly cool. The secure parking was a real bonus, only a few yarrds away. You will not be dissapointed. Good easy access to the cathedral and centre by foot, 10 min walk at most.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank halksworth
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Le Clos d'Hauteville is a splendid place to stay in the fascinating city of Le Mans. M and Mme Duhem were most welcoming hosts and made sure our two-night stay in August was a very enjoyable experience. The 19th century house, just a short walk from the main sights of the city, is elegant and beautifully furnished. Our room was spacious and decorated in quiet good taste, appropriate to the age of the house without being chintzy. The en-suite shower room had good quality fittings and everything worked perfectly (often not the case in accommodation much more expensive than le Clos). Breakfast was fine.
Full marks in all categories and thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bruisedpilgrims
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We stayed at the B & B at Rue Hauteville from 5th to 8th July while attending Classic Le Mans. From the very start Monsieur and Madam Duhem were the perfect hosts. Nothing was too much trouble and our room was just super. Exactly what we expected a typical French townhouse to be, decorated and furnished in typical style and very clean. There was off road parking for our cars and a delightful garden in which to take tea or something stronger. There is plenty to eat at breakfast whic is typically french, croixants and homemade jam, cereal, fruit, yoghurts etc, although if I was staying for any length of time I would have to ask for a change, such as eggs, or toast. The townhouse is ideally located with two tram stops just a few minutes walk away. I cant recommend this place enough. Monsieur and Madame Duhem are simply charming and I would definitely use their place again. P.S. If you go in July you MUST check out the illuminations every night at Le Mans Cathedral - simply stunning!!

Room Tip: If you a little infirm or elderly, go for a room on the first floor.(One of them has a whirlpool bath!) The room on the second floor, although fantastic, is accessed by a very narrow and precarious stairway.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple