“Tapas at night, Corsican but ? really, nice outdoor dining”
Review of Pace e Salute - CLOSED

Pace e Salute
Cuisines: French
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Decouvrez dans un cadre atypique et pourtant traditionnel l'esprit chaleureux et convivial d'une ancienne batisse ou raisonne merveilleusement l'accent d'un vieux village Corse. Situee en plein coeur d'Avignon, laissez vous seduire par le charme de la pittoresque Place des Carmes. En degustation: Mets insulaires et continentaux, bases uniquement sur des produits frais, confectionnes pour une carte aux saveurs du marche. Experimentez egalement sa proposition unique et originale de Tapas meridionaux.
Reviewed 9 June 2013

It is definetly worth a visit, but I didn't really understand the Corsican part of it - yes the appetizer charcuterie plate, but ' lamb carpaccio with kiwi' and other things weren't Corse at all. Some things excellent like the veal stew, some to strong and not fine enough but overall very good.
the place seems to be very well attended by local and a reservation doesn't hurt. Charming hostess who explains everything in detail. on a quiet plaza in Avignon.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

The food was mixed at this outdoor tapas restaurant. Of the 5 dishes we tried, 3 were wonderful, especially the pate, and others were very good or good. Our waiter was charming and helpful but when the owner came over to hurry us up on deciding on our order, she was extremely pushy and even rude. We still enjoyed the food and the outdoor ambiance. At the end when we asked for the bill I was told to go inside where I waited (standing) for my bill and to pay. There were busy and that is not the regular procedure.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Suggested by B&B owners this Corsican restaurant was a very pleasant experience.
The way they serve food reminds you Spanish tapas - small portions of pretty much whatever.
But let's not "small portion" mislead you, even a such big eater as I am, could manage only 3 "tapas".
A very unusual touch that the owner, a multi language speaking madam, takes a sit at your table, helping you to make a selection from the menu (in French only). In my case it was an unrushed interview of my food likes and dislikes.
- Does madam like seafood? What about cheese? What kind of cheese? What about beef? What is you do NOT like to eat?
How hungry are you? Then she said: "Let me surprise you! You will be pleased!".
And more than pleased I was.
White Corsican wine and water arrived almost instantly. Food did follow pretty fast.
1) Baked chanterelle mushrooms with herbs, cheese and with a smoked bacon strip in between;
2) Baked scallops in mayo based sauce with fresh chives and other herbs - sauce that deserves a dip with a bread crust...
Scallops were cooked JUST right. If you cook, you know how easy it is to overdo scallops and make the texture like a piece of rubber...
3) Last but not least was beef tartar. Just divine!
A note on tartar. In Avignon they are big on beef tartar. It looks like all restaurants have their own version of this dish. So, if you are like me, big meat eater, oh-boy, Avignon is a tartar haven!

I proud of myself to finish all 3 dishes but it took sometime because it was quite a lot of food (madam warned me not to order more than 3 and to TAKE my time).

Finished up with a shot of espresso.
Great dinner!

1  Thank vesnaileto
Reviewed 13 January 2012

... with all the positive reviews that led us to try this friendly spot. We went for lunch on a very quiet (six customers) day and, as those who have gone before us, enjoyed the relaxed, sincere welcome and the generous, richly flavored, home-style food. The dishes served at lunch are traditional entrées, main courses and desserts, most with a Corsican twist. For example, the Corsican sausage that came with the egg-topped salad starter (a meal in itself) was terrific. We will definitely return to try the tapas, served only in the evening.

Reviewed 17 December 2011

What a find! The owner talked us into letting her choose our dishes for us - I'm a picky eater, but she asked us our likes & dislikes in order to better choose for us. She picked fantastic dishes for us - a chestnut and pear soup with Roquefort (we said we liked cheese, forgetting that blue is not our favorite, but it was great in this soup), a palate cleanser of egg rolls, filled with Corsican cheese; Corsican mini burgers with ham, cheese, and fig jam ( must try this at home!); a very rich wild boar stew; and a chicken curry tiramisu - the weakest of the dishes, although the others were so stellar it would be hard to do better. The owner is unbelievably friendly and speaks English. Service is so nice and homey, she and her son make you feel so welcomel. One of the best meals we've ever had, and definitely one of our best meals in France ( nd we've lived here for 9 months). The Corscan wine was inexpensive and delicious, too.