Hotel du Palais des Papes
Travelocity
US$127
US$111
Agoda.com
All reviewsgreat locationbeautiful stoneair conditioninghotel doorroom was large and comfortableold buildingcouple of nightsunderground parkingtop floorbudget hotelnice breakfastcharming hoteltrain stationpapal palacesquareconsulatefrance
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 August 2017

Smart refurbishment, including elevator, Nespresso coffee machine, air conditioning cannot spoil the romance of the old building itself and its gorgeous surroundings. The room was rather spacious and light with wide comfortable bed. Good breakfast. Exit from the Palais des Papes parking just in front of the hotel door.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

What would otherwise have been a great place for an overnight stay to visit Avignon was spoiled by the lack of hot water and noisy rubbish trucks at 5am waking us up. The room was otherwise fine, although I would recommend they get some new bed linen.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2017

We just stay there one night during the festival, the location is great facing the Palais des Papes. Upon arrival we are very warmly welcomed, the rooms are simple but with AC units and there is not too much noise pollution from outside during the festival. Do not take the breakfast there as the quality is not great.

Room Tip: Room 22 facing the Palais des Papes or 14 with 4 beds
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2017

This hotel has a fantastic location, directly on the courtyard across from the Palais des Papes. The hotel building used to house the Spanish Consulate, and the restaurant has a fireplace that is hundreds of years old. The age of the building shows in some respects: the room we stayed in (6 bis) sloped a bit and fixtures were outdated, and the hotel corridors snake around and are not wide – the hotel says there will be a renovation soon. Overall these quirks were not a big deal. Of more concern was the lack of WiFi during our entire weekend visit.

We enjoyed our stay, and the staff was friendly and accommodating. The restaurant is excellent, and we had the good fortune to enjoy a wonderful dinner outside with a direct view of the Palais.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the recently renovated rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe_King_traveler
Reviewed 23 June 2017

There's no question that the location is perfect. In fact, my room had a view directly across from the Palais des Papes.

The first thing that took me a. It aback was when I opene the front door of my room and stepped directly into the bathroom (an open area with dee tub and sink ... the toilet was in a small closet). The room was extremely small. I'd say this is definitely a room for a solo traveller (room 27).

That said, the bee was comfortable. One thing to watch out for (don't know if all rooms are like this). The bed actually sits on a solid stone base ... careful as you go around the bed so you don't stub your toe.

One big problem for me which I did not have time to follow up on (I checked in the afternoon and left very early the next morning) .... the hotel advertises it has free wifi. I only saw 2 private connections. It seemed to me there was no wifi. One of the reasons I choose ANY accommodation is free access to wifi

Btw, the staff was very friendly on check in

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo