“Why isn't this place packed?”
Review of La Gargamelle

La Gargamelle
Ranked #293 of 2,109 Restaurants in Nice
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Centre
Reviewed 17 September 2016

This is a family-run restaurant about a block and a half off of Place Messana. We walked by it one evening, checked out the menu (and TripAdvisor reviews which are mostly really good), and decided to eat here for my birthday dinner the next night. We asked the hotel concierge to make us a reservation, and she had never heard of it.
It's totally a family-run operation, and you feel like you're a welcome guest in their house. The interior warm and inviting, and the decoration is kind of quirky, definitely expressing the owner's personality rather than some corporate idea about decor. We were greeted warmly and given a choice of English or French menus (which are on a board that's brought to the table). There is a wide selection of entrées and main courses. We were served a little amuse bouche before our salads; my hearts of endive salad was really good and good looking, fashioned with care. For a main course, I had filet of beef in a Rochefort sauce, which was amazing (and cooked perfectly). My wife had salmon (a pretty good-sized piece), also delicious. Both came with some potatoes and vegetables, cooked and seasoned perfectly. For dessert we had a chocolate cake thing (it had a French name that I can't remember) which my wife is still talking about. We had wine, which was poured at the bar and brought to the table in a pitcher (carafe style, but as in the countryside); we drank a Cotes de Rhone which was mid-priced and very smooth. All in all it was a great, great meal, but the place was almost empty.
Two notes. One: cash only, no credit cards. Two: don't be put off if it isn't crowded when you look in; that usually scares us away but in this case not being crowded doesn't mean it's not great. I will be going back when I'm in Nice next.

Reviewed 28 August 2016

Found this gem by accident full of character family run restaurant best place we have found since being in Nice fantastic food cooked to perfection, and where made to feel very welcome not rushed had to back come for more before we left

Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

My wife and I stepped into Gargamelle restaurant to receive a warm welcome from a family member running the restaurant. It is a small and cozy place filled with interesting paintings and unique antiques.
The menu brought close to the table on an easel had a good variety of salads and main courses. My wife and I were very happy with our fillets of beef served to perfection.
All in all a very pleasant evening,with a very definite intention to visit again when we return to Nice.

Reviewed 17 March 2016

The food was very fresh and carefully prepared, the service was perfect, and the atmosphere was comfortable.

1  Thank ctoddmem
Reviewed 31 December 2015

I made a reservation at a restaurant nearby for the wrong dates and they were very rude. So, I came across the restaurant nearby and decided to try my luck for a table.
It's a family business whereby the mum and dad are the chefs while the daughter will serve all tables. They were incredibly friendly and the food were spectacularly delicious. You must try to dessert. I had the luck of trying the champagne served with a scoop of sorbet. It was the highlight of my 7 day trip in Nice.

1  Thank joandee