“Ironman France & the Meridien”
Review of Le Meridien Nice

Le Meridien Nice
Ranked #80 of 203 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Meridien Hotel for five nights for the Ironman France event. Location for me was everything and the hotel was perfect for all the pre & post race festivities. The staff was efficient, the room was very nice overlooking the sea and finish line, and the weather was perfect. Those are the positives. I did have a few negative experiences as well. The reservation was incorrectly stating 4 nights instead of 5. Because the reservation was incorrect and I needed to add another night to our stay, they jacked the room rate up on us for the "one additional night!" I was being nickle and dimed (euro'd) for everything. I needed a plate and knife for some cheese, bread, and meat that we bought for a nice dinner on the balcony. I was charged $5 euro for the plate to be delivered to the room. No breakfast included in the daily rate. I did manage to get free internet included in my room rate. "Do Not Disturb" means don't bother me when you come into my room anyways. And here's the kicker of all this.
I hung an American flag from our balcony on race morning. By 10:00 am in the morning someone had gone into our room (with the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door, cut the flag from it's tie-wraps, and take it. No note, no explanation for the removal of the flag, and taking it until I mentioned it two days later that someone had removed it from our room.
Bottom line is that what we paid did not match the service I would expect and will look for alternative locations on our next visit.
Cheers!

Room Tip: You stay at this hotel for location only. If price is not an issue and location and unsurpassed vie...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ironman3
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear Ironman3,
I’m glad that you found Le Méridien Nice location perfect for all the pre & post Ironman France race festivities. Indeed, you had a bird’s eye view from your room overlooking the sea and also the finish line!
We have an excellent in-room dining selection and it’s unfortunate that you didn’t enjoy a wonderful meal with your wife on the terrace, delivered by the butler.
With regards to the American flag that was unhooked from your balcony, nothing whatsoever is to be hung over the balcony railings on the Promenade des Anglais as it is against the local law.
Hoping to be able to welcome you back to Le Méridien Nice at a future date.
Best regards

Pablo Bandala

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Stayed here in June ,excellent modern hotel,great location,lovely room(superior double) with views over city & partial sea view.Thank you Roberto for allocating a room with a view...much appreciated.Just for your information balcony is not wide enough to sit out on.Breakfast was included in our rate and it was excellent. Reception,restaurant(breakfast) and pool staff,porters all really polite,helpful and courteous.
Bus stop to airport is just around the corner so easy to get to and from and only €4 pp each way .
A word of caution-whilst we were there three other guests used the swimming pool and their hair turned green with the chemicals in the pool.My boyfriends new swimming shorts were also ruined and now they are navy and pale green instead of navy and white! This was reported to the manager who just directed us to a disclaimer poster on the wall by the pool,unfortunately he didn't seem concerned .I never used the pool again as I was worried about what chemicals they used and the affect on my skin never mind my blonde hair.This is the only complaint I have about this hotel and I was surprised and saddened by the lack of interest by the manager in charge.I do believe they need to re access the chemicals they use.
However we had a wonderful stay and I would recommend this hotel....just get the pool sorted out please!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Highflygirl
Reviewed 17 June 2012

it is interesting to see that the meridien management manages to reply to reviews on trip advisor however, they are the usual benign, bland responses that simply do not address the serious failures in hotel management that seem to be 'par for the course' at what is an over-priced Nice hotel. Breakfast service at this (and sadly so many European hotels) is still stuck in the 1970's it seems. Tinned or carton fruit juices in 2012!! What planet are they on! Meagre and mean bakery offerings, cheap processed meats and cheeses - yuk! no wonder anyone with expectations of something better heads to either boutique hotels or the hotels in Dubai and Asia - they do it so much better! When was the last time you were able to choose from a heady selection of made-to-order delights like fresh waffles, crepes with a huge range of accompaniments, eggs and hot food galore (all cooked in front of you not congealing in some nasty metal plate under a heat-lamp) sushi, dumplings, huge range of freshly made compotes and granolas, fruit smoothies, porridge, bircher muesli, massive choice of breads and pastries (baked on site not bought it half frozen) including wheat and gluten-free options and all this for less than this hotel charges a night! Wake up france and smell Le cafe!
don't waste your money on over-priced, under-delivering Nice hotels until they pull up their Chaussettes and start delivering to a standard that truly competes with world-class hotels...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Eugene C
Reviewed 13 June 2012

If you want free Wi-Fi use the restaurant lounge on the first floor that sits nicely over the ground floor where a certain well known food chain is known for free Wi-Fi access. No problem getting connected to their router.
Breakfast is very good with a wide selection including fresh breads.
No tea/coffee making facility in room. They did give a daily voucher for coffee for two in the lounge although of course its free at breakfast.
Staff very friendly.
Rooms very comfortable.
TV reception watch-able but many stations poor reception. Wide choice of English channels including BBC1, ITV etc.
Very close to wide range of restaurants, shops etc
Walk to station
Beach just across road

Room Tip: I guess you get what you pay for and we were on a Grand Prix package with no choice of room. The hot...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We stayed here on after spending 10 days touring the high towns of Provence. This is a big commerical hotel that is WONDERFUL. Our room faced the Mediterranean, what a great view! We had a personal balcony that was 8-feet x 30-feet with two lounge chairs and round dinning table. You could lie in bed and watch the ships go by. After lots of small old charming hill town hotels this was the perfect end to our vacation. We loved the room so much we decided that lunch on the terrace was a must. Went out bought wine, cheese, bread and snacks. Returned to have a great lunch on our terrace, heaven.
Staff was wonderful.

Room Tip: Room on the top three floors have large terraces, try to get one facing the water.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
meridiennice, General Manager at Le Meridien Nice, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Dear C_Anderson2012,
So glad that you appreciated your stay at Le Méridien Nice and for taking the time to post these excellent comments on this site.
We do hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
With my best regards