“Terrible, rude and arrogant owner ruins hotel”
Review of Hotel Parisien

Hotel Parisien
Ranked #93 of 204 Hotels in Nice
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I booked a room for 4 nights which was due to include breakfast. We arrived after midnight but did not think it would be a problem cause of this hotels 24 hour reception - wrong. The door was locked when we arrived and we kept banging and knocking on it to no avail. After calling the number written on the door we kept getting a voice message. After standing on this dodgy street at 1am for a while, eventually we had to stop a random man on the street to ask him if he could decipher the French voice message for us. However luckily on his phone it got through (we didn't know the french dialing code which had to be put in before the number) and a man who had obviously just woken up opened the door for us.

He started a problem straight away claiming we hadn't paid for breakfast even though I had a reservation form saying we had. He agreed to give us it tomorrow but we would need to speak to the 'boss' tomorrow about it.

The next morning after having the breakfast, we had to speak to the owner. He started claiming in a frantic and rude way that the website we booked on made a mistake and we weren't due to get breakfast. I obviously disputed this and said that even if they made a mistake you still have to give your customers breakfast as this is what my reservation says and was one of the reasons I chose this hotel. He didnt react well and got his calculator out and started going through figures of how much he was making on the room (he started off with a €70 figure, then kept rattling it down for various reasons, including a 20 percent website fee and €14 for breakfast - although don't know how a bit of bread and two croissants is costing him that!). After he went through his salesman technique I simply said 'i dont care how much you're making, we're owed breakfast' and he absolutely lost it. Asked me if he was speaking Chinese, said to us we can leave the hotel right now if we wanted (didn't want to waste my few days in nice changing hotels.)

After a lot more arguing and hassling I got one more breakfast, so we had 2/4 breakfasts even though I paid for 4. However obviously arguing on holiday is not nice and dented the first morning. A horrible, arrogant owner who would rather save a couple euros on a measly breakfast than please his customers.

Furthermore there is no lift, so needed to walk up 4 flights of stairs every time (with luggage when we arrived as well) and the wifi is non existent in the rooms. Room was ok, bed was uncomfortable. But please don't stay here unless you like arguing!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank zaidshoubber
There are newer reviews for Hotel Parisien

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed at Hotel Parisien for 7 nights. We chose it because of its proximity to the Nice Ville Railway Station, about 10 mins. walk. From the railway station you have to go down 2 lots of steps and use the tunnel under the railway line to get to it. The hotel is small, clean, quiet and has been recently renovated. The rooms and common areas are very attractive. Each group of rooms (4-5) is closed off from the stairwell by a door, making it very quiet. Our room faced the street but traffic noise was never an issue. There was hardly any traffic after about 8pm. We had TV and air conditioning which we needed at night. The room was very clean, towels and sheets were changed every 2 or 3 days. The free Wifi worked OK in the reception area. We did not take breakfast which cost 7 euros per person. There are many bakeries in the area, we bought fresh baguettes and made our own breakfast. No electric kettle but we had an immersion heater. Reception was very friendly and helpful but they forgot (or were asleep) to give us a wake-up call the morning we left - that's our only criticism. It's a bit of a hike to the centre (about 20 mins. to Place Masséna) but the tram is just nearby. A ticket is 1.50 euros and is valid on the buses, too..

Room Tip: We had a twin room on the 2nd floor (No. 22 I think) which reception said was the best room in the h...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Colin M
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I booked a double room at Hotel Parisien Nice through Laterooms.com and got a confirmed booking for two nights. Now when I reached hotel Parisien, I was told that they do not have any room available and the only FAVOUR they can do is to accommodate me at a nearby hotel for one night and then I can come back the other day. I tried to figure out what went wrong but did not get any plausible explanation; all I could figure out is that I was booked for a room that wasn't available. The hotel put this on Laterooms.com. Well it was first leg of my 5 day vacation and I was least interested in hassling around with hotel logistics so I accepted the offer plus the lady on reception was welcoming and nice to me. Now on reaching the other hotel I realized that the room offered to me was shabby, small, no A/c (it was hot) single room; all in all it did not meet the specifications of room that I booked and no comparison for the double room I booked at Hotel Parisien. At that point I did not want to go back to Hotel Parisien and argue on this matter but made up my mind to pursue this later to figure out what went wrong. I do not deserve this when I am paying full fare for the room I booked. It was not a very pleasant experience that night and I could not sleep well. I spent whole day half sleeping in my tour van. In the evening when I reached the hotel parisien and requested the receptionist to give a receipt/document mentioning that I only spent one night at your hotel. He politely said that its not possible to provide such document but he will have a word with his manager and let me know later. Next morning at 11 AM, I met a new guy at reception and as soon as I asked him whether they got a chance to check with manager and whether he can provide me a document, he lost his nerve and started shouting at me. I requested him to calm down and he said that he won't give me anything and I can go do whatever I want to. I said that it is nothing against you and all I need is a bill or some sort of document which says that though I paid full amount here but I only stayed here for 1 night and other night was at a different hotel. I want to pursue this further as I was not happy. He not only refused to provide any document but started saying that he know people from London and that its typical of them. At this point I realized that it isn't just about me and so I backed out. Well I believe peace of mind is most important and more so when you are out on vacation. Last thing one would want is to argue with someone and ruin his time. Well I just had similar experience. A strict no to Hotel Parisien.

Apart from this room was good with all amenities as promised on laterooms.com but lots and lots of noise from street.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2013

stayed at hotel parisien for 6 nights with a friend. We were pleased and very comfortable. Amazing staff, very very friendly, welcoming and helpful. We very much felt welcomed to Nice thanks to the staff at the reception. Room was a good enough size, clean, however the wifi doesn't work on all the floors.
Will definitely stay here again :)

Room Tip: if you want to use wifi do not get a room far away from the main lobby
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sabrina R
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights, it was wonderful! I had driven, they had a parking place for me at the front door, Free Wifi, very clean large room. the staff was extremely helpful, in fact, I accidently left a dress in the closet. They mailed it back to the US.
I highly recommend The Parisen!
It was difficult to find, I recommed provided better directions, since most locals couldn't or didn't want to give directions !

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo