All reviewsbeautiful rural settingfaded grandeurst remychain hotelcentury buildingtree lined drivewaydinner one nightfirst floorevery eveningfive nightslocal producerooms are largestayed longervan goghlibrarychateaugreenhouse
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

While our experience was much lower than a four star in regards to enjoyment the property probably deserves a four star review.

I'm not The type of person who gets a one star review because one or two things where completely out of my expectations.

I realize this is a different country and where I live, I don't speak the language and I'm traveling with my nine-year-old son.

The building is antique in this fairly nice character.

It is been well refurbished with a nice balance of the old and new.

Chicken was straightforward with polite staff.

My nine-year-old son and I are bike touring for two weeks through south of France on the tandem bicycle over the trailer.

Unlike other places we were given no attitude about traveling via bicycle and the staff was accommodating and find me a place to lock the bike and showing us for a room which was nice and cool considering there is a heat wave of close to 40°C.

I suppose the greatest frustration was with dinner service.

I think the dining experience here is perfect for elderly traditional French people who want lots and lots and lots of time to the adjuster meal, listening to the cicadas and sipping local wine.

There is certainly nothing wrong with that and for the clientele looking for something tranquil was a formal with non-inspired traditional food this is probably a great place to go.

This evening had some type of scheduled reading of the book followed by a special dinner.

We were told to dinner to follow it would be something special.

The dinner menu consisted of chateau menu and the grand chateau menu(The latter offered a second entrée) The grande menu offered no dish not available on the chateau prefix.

Our reservations were at 8 PM.

My nine-year-old son is a selective eater(diagnosed as food anxiety).

We never expect restaurants especially more for more places to accommodate but cooks will often make an effort to simply boil spaghetti with butter or something simple to satisfy the kids. This evening they offered a grilled chicken breast over a hash brown party. It falls within the realm of what my son will eat though neither I or he found it particularly appealing.

I ordered the basic three-course meal.

We got there at 8 PM which was our reservation time.

My first course was served around 20:45

By 21:40 my second course was served. Of note we were the first to be seated but were served after everyone else. The total outside dining area had 16 people eating.

By the time my second course was brought out I simply asked but the dessert course be brought out at the same time.

Like I said earlier, for those want an average traditional uninspired but competent French meal that stretched out for several hours while enjoying conversation in the outdoors with local wines this maybe just the place.

If you're looking for charm, positive emotion and true hospitality I cannot give enough kudos where we stayed last night at Mas de Figues. That's today was truly magical with the host who was gracious and emotionally committed like taking care of the guests was a calling and all were treated as friends and family. The estate it's not over 300 years old and dinner was not served.

Certainly not a kid friendly place though that is one of their attributes stated.

It's a pretty old building and a lot of effort has gone into restoration.

I believe this place is well-suited for elderly French people I know exactly what they want.

Quite traditional elegant with somewhat lacking in enthusiasm which is made up for by for by formality.

If you choose to eat here plan on 1 hr per course with competent traditional food.

My enjoyment of spending the night here is probably closer to two stars but I believe I picked a place better suited for elderly and traditional French. Can't say enough good things about mas de Figues. Very different but much more suitable for our style of freethinking, local cuisine and an artist approach to living in Provance.

I beleive all the great reviews for this estate are well earned. Just not for us and not for this evening.

Best,

Mats and Mats riding our tandem through Provance;)

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Julien D, Directeur général at Chateau de Roussan, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2017

Thank you very much for your review. I really hope you keep enjoying your discovery of Provence with your son.
I am sorry if the rhythm of the meal did not suit you. We work very hard to please all our guests and to make sure that Château de Roussan remains a place like no other... maybe not suitable for everyone. Our difference is what makes us unique.
Thank you very much for your nice appreciation about the welcoming attitude of our staff. It was a real pleasure to have you here at Château de Roussan and hope you would decide to step by again in the future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 June 2017

No words to describe the experience , visit it !!! Excellent place , excellent team , excellent food.... quiet atmosphere and superb relax. Especial mention for the garden , accurate and classic design.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Julien D, Directeur général at Chateau de Roussan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Thank you for your nice comments and for visiting Château de Roussan. Our team will be delighted to see that their work to make your stay relaxing and superb are worth it.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 15 June 2017

A breath of fresh air to see this 16th Century building used and updated in such an empathetic way and a refreshing change from the ubiquitous boutique style. Lovely staff and relaxed and natural surroundings and superb food

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Julien D, Directeur général at Chateau de Roussan, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2017

Than you very much for your comments and your sensitivity about the beautiful place we have the chance to work in.
With the hope to meet you again at Château de Roussan.

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

Chateau de Roussan was undoubtedly a beautiful building in her day, alas she has been restored but not completely. The bathrooms were new and fresh, probably the best thing about the room, rooms are spacious with AC and wifi.
We had dinner on the terrace, after making a reservation for 8:00 pm we waited 40 minutes before being served, there were only two other couple being waited on at the same time. The waitress, who had earlier spoken to us in English now seemed unable to communicate with us only to inform us that there was no dish of the day or lamb, leaving us with Fish or steak, we laughed at the lack of choice and poor service, she walked away and ignored us, Robin the receptionist then came and took our order , including specials, we had a great meal, but didn't want to waste €19 each in breakfast when we could go to st Remy and enjoy the ambience of sitting in a cafe.
A taxi to st Remy for dinner one night was €20 each way, about 4km, perhaps we shouldn't have asked the hotel to organise it.

I was going to title this review Faulty Towers with Basil and Sybil but that's probably a bit harsh, would I stay here again or recommend it, probably not.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for posting your comments on this site.
Château de Roussan is indeed a beautiful building, which has been fully restored in 2010 and with a preserved identity; which is what most of our guests enjoy. As you said, new and fresh bathrooms, large fully air-conditioned rooms, Wi-Fi, elevator in the building and a personalized service.
I am sorry that you seem so disappointed with our restaurant. The difficulty in working with fresh products is that you are exposed to preparation delays and to run out of products, in opposition to frozen meals. I apologize if you felt that this was not up to the expected standards. In regards to feeling ignored by the waitress, maybe it is what you could expect after she was being laughed at. Waitering doesn't make you less human does it ? I am happy to read that at least you had a good meal.
I hope you had the chance to discover all the local products, organic eggs and great traditional bread we serve in our 19€ breakfast whilst enjoying the ambiance of sitting in a cafe. Too bad the only ambience at Château de Roussan in the morning is the birds singing and the wind blowing through our centenary trees.

Or maybe I am being a bit harsh,... would I recommend you to look for a more aseptic hotel with no character next time ? Probably yes !

And by the way, thank you for thinking that we are such an important business that we have an influence on taxi rates !

Kindly Yours,

Reviewed 24 April 2017

One of the loveliest places we have stayed as you step into a relaxed comfortable Chateau. We had a romantic stay for a few days. The setting is peaceful, the food delicious and staff superb. No stuffiness- just warm and genuinely wanting to please. This is a unique place to stay. Not shiny like a Hilton or chain hotel, but absolutely charming like an aged countess. The menu is limited but uses the finest of local produce - just go out to eat if you need a change. We read a review that said the visitor felt exposed due to sheer window coverings. Remember to close the shutters - they are functional. We entered as strangers and left as friends. Thank you to all the wonderful staff do not change a thing!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Toinette on the ground floor. French doors to the patio. Comfortable and quiet
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Julien D, Directeur général at Chateau de Roussan, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2017

Dear friends,

It was a real pleasure to have you in Château de Roussan. The whole team thanks you for you nice comments, which are a real source of motivation in their research of perfection.

Feel free to come back and visit us another time.

Kindest regards,