“Classical German Coffeehouse”

Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 February 2016

This is a cosy place in the heart of Baden-Baden, offering fine German pastry and sweets in a traditional atmosphere. Absolutely you should try their "Havanna" tartlet with a delicate hazelnut buttercream, it is really delicious.

Reviewed 14 February 2016 via mobile

Went there on a Sunday afternoon with hubby and our 4-year old daughter. Place is packed and I understood staff were in stress. But not an excuse of serving people badly. Been to places as famous where services are better. What I mean is being friend to children and old people especially.

Reviewed 9 February 2016

Baden-Baden was one of the excursions on our Sept. 2015 Rhine River cruise. After the tour, I asked our guide where a good place was to get a slice of Black Forest cake, to which she recommended the Café Koenig. It was simply the Black Forest cake I always dreamed of. I've had many cakes from bakeries back home in the US and made my own, but this nailed it as far as flavor, taste, texture and appearance. I tried another in Cologne, but it was not the same.
One thing to keep in mind when visiting the Café Koenig is to allow enough time to relax and enjoy the ambiance as the customer to wait staff can be overwhelming to them when it is busy. Their cakes, pastries and sweets brings in hundreds of tourists each day from the river cruises as well as other tours that arrive by the bus loads.
Another thing to keep in mind here is to first stop in the pastry shop and order your pastry. They will then give you a ticket to bring in the dining area with you. Find an open table and set the ticket on the table so the wait staff can see it. They will then come and take your drink order and bring your pastry to the table. I found that many people sat first and waited for a menu or the waiter, but it works much more efficiently for the staff when first selecting your dessert before sitting. It cuts down one trip to the tables and as mentioned before, the wait staff can be overwhelmed when hit with a rush of customers.
All in all, I enjoyed the setting in the dining area, was able to practice what little German I learned 40 years ago and the Black Forest cake made this portion of the trip in Baden-Baden a memorable one.

1  Thank Lester L
Reviewed 15 January 2016 via mobile

Very friendly service, delicious cake beautifully packed (the wrapping alone was a work of art), and it was simply melt in the mouth chocolate heaven! Definitely one for those with a sweet tooth.

Reviewed 3 January 2016

My wife and i stopped by to enjoy some cake and coffee .they asked us to choose a table inside after we finish ordering and they will bring us the order we sat inside and waited for almost 40 minuets for just a cake and coffee . We saw people came after us and being served we tried to call one of the waitress but she looked at me and completely ignored us, we were stunned we call for the other waiter who was running busy he also ignored us. We tried to talk to the lady behind the counter inside she point at our cake saying your order has been ready an hour ago, Rudest staff everbut the waitress kept ignoring us for no reasons .she kept serving people who came after us and let our cake hanging their. she was one of the rudest person i ever seen . One of the worst experience. Finally we asked the lady behind the counter to wrap the cake and having it for take away. Just not worth it .