“Good things and bad things add up to an average hotel”

Novotel Munich City
Ranked #48 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Reviewed 14 August 2017

I had an upgraded room, with a nice writing desk and chair. The room was quite big; however it did not have a shelved cupboard, only a shallow one for 4-5 hangers (clothes facing you). No drawers either! You had to put your folded items on the bottom (15 cm above floor level, where you would normally place your shoes) or at the top shelf, which is at about 200 cm height (no way…). Very likely the hangers could have conveniently accommodated my evening gowns or even full-length snow-suits – only problem I did not have these. So my underwear was „dropped down” in plastic bags, and my folded polos, shirts and pullovers remained in the suitcase. For a five-day stay it was not convenient. During the five days I received bathroom amenities only on two days (on day one and four). Upon my arrival I had a beer from the minibar, which was duly replaced next morning. But not my used beer-glass. First I just left it on top of the fridge, next to the empty bottle; bottle was taken, glass was left there as is. I did not use it any more, instead, on the coming days, I tried to have it replaced. No matter where I put it (laid down on top of the fridge, put on writing table, left in bathroom, etc.) the same beer-smelling glass full of fingerprints was placed on the clean-glass tray every coming day (mouth down). To be honest I never experienced similar issue at any Novotel or other hotel yet, but had to take it as a serious warning about possible undetected cultural gaps: I will never use a glass in any hotel without washing previously.
The room otherwise was clean and comfortable, with separate WC, separate shower and bathtub (which I would have traded in for a chest of drawers…). It also had a laptop-size safe, an easy-chair, convenient reading light and USB charger(s) at the bedside. The hi-speed internet (part of the business package) worked very well, the breakfast was tasty. I enjoyed the indoor swimming pool, which had excellent opening hours: until midnight. The staff at the reception and at breakfast was friendly and rather helpful.

Room Tip: The hotel is in a quiet street and deep in a courtyard, all rooms are quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank istvanj_12
H3280SF, Manager at Novotel Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Thank you very much for the very detailed feedback and the positive remarks on the breakfast. We regret that your experience with the room did not completely meet your expectations. We also regret the faults regarding the house-keeping. Please allow us to express our sincerest apologies. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. We appreciate your sharing of your experiences, so that we can improve the quality of our service. Therefore we hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future and your next visit will be more pleasant as the previous one.

There are newer reviews for Novotel Munich City

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed here with my kids for 2 nights before starting our Europe trip by car. The breakfast is perfect I would give it 5 stars.
The front desk staff is amazing and exceptional and they were the main reason why we came back here after our car trip was over.
The only reason I am giving 3 stars is when we got back to our room at 2:40 pm after exploring the Munich city, our room wasn't cleaned.
The cleaning people came a little after 3 pm but my kids were asleep as they were jet lagged. I asked them if they could come by 4, but no one did.
On our return the second time after our road trip, the room had a very strong odor. I don't know if it was detergent, wet carpet or the wellness center close by.
Pros
Close to train station, we came here by train directly from the airport.
Marienplatz , Deutsche museum is at walking distance. Safe neighborhood,a lot of ice cream places , restaurants near by.
Breakfast is amazing.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

We very much appreciate the top remarks on the staff as well as the great feedback on our breakfast. We are committed to providing our guests with the best possible start to their day - a nutritious breakfast that offers fresh ingredients, a variety of choices, and quality products. Great that you appreciate it. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the problems regarding the house-keeping. That is unacceptable and below our standards. Please rest assured that I have already looked into this and taken steps - and within my team I will make sure that negative experiences are a rare exception in the future. I feel very bad for the inconveniences you had to deal with. I would like to ask you to give us another chance. I very much hope that on your next visit our services will leave you completely satisfied. We would be honored to welcome you back.

Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

This hotel is a 4-5 minute walk to Rosenheimer metro stop so ideal when arriving in Munich from the airport (10 stops on S8 which goes every 20 mins) and for getting into the centre and around the city. You can also walk to Marienplatz in around 15 mins. We checked in online so was very quick picking up the keys and also when checking out. The room was quiet, clean and modern with a huge TV! Also had a walk in shower and a bath which was nice.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
H3280SF, Manager at Novotel Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

Thank you very much for the positive review and the great remarks on the room. We are always pleased to learn that our guests have enjoyed their visit with us and that our commitment and efforts to provide the best services possible have been a success. We are looking forward to welcoming you as a guest in our hotel again.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

The hotel is very good but i had couple of issues on my room and with the keycard.

The service is very good and they have a really good breakfast.

To make payment using credit card on restaurant is littlebit complicated and somedays i need put the breakfast on my room account.

Room Tip: I changed room because my 1st room had AC issue and the mini bar wasn't working. Rest of the we...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Novotel Hotels

Thank you for your positive review, the nice feedback on the service and the breakfast, and also for your critique regarding the room keycard and the organisation of the payment with the credit card. We take your input very seriously and I have already discussed it with the managers and colleagues in charge. Please accept my apologies for the inconveniences you had to deal with. I very much hope that on your next visit our services will leave you completely satisfied. We would be honored to welcome you back.

Reviewed 3 August 2017

We spent two nights in this hotel, it was sightseeing trip. Hotel is in walking distance from the city centre (some 20 min.). Nice, clean, standard Novotel rooms, that are fine. Very good breakfast. Gym is perfect and well equipped.

If I would come back to Munich, I would go for this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
H3280SF, Manager at Novotel Munich City, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2017

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and I would like to thank you for the very positive feedback and the top remarks on the room, the breakfast and the gym. We are happy to learn that you would come back for another visit with us - we hope to welcome you as our guest soon again.