“Surprisingly brilliant”
Review of Deck5

Deck5
Ranked #50 of 634 Nightlife in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: Berlin's highest Christmas market ' DECK5 ' offers a spectacular view, exceptional treats and an atmospheric market for strolling. Visitors can take a break from the City trouble in the heated tent and enjoy the magnificent view over the city. For the physical well-being there are not only a lot of sweets. There is also homemade mulled wine, fresh winter cocktails and a hearty winter barbeque. It´s a Christmas market for the whole family. For the youngest, there is a cozy fairytale tent in which stories are told. So adults can take a stroll through the market or relax in the Christmas lounge. For the grand finale there will be a New Year's Eve celebration with a breathtaking view over Berlin shrouded in bright colors.
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

End of a stag do, looking for a bar close to our hotel for a couple of hours before we had to leave, we found this place! Lovely beach bar on top of the shopping centre roof. Sand, marquees, and even beds. Good views.

We got lost looking for it. Go into the shopping centre, but don't take the escalators. Go. To the back of the shopping centre and turn left before the post office. Take the lift to floor 5 and it'll be in front of you.

4  Thank Lewis P

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I visited this bar during a trip to Berlin during a heat-wave. Naturally the bar was really busy because it was so sunny. There are a lot of flights of stairs when the shopping centre isn't open so prepare yourself for that!
We had to pay 1 euro each entry which was a surprise, but not too terrible. The ordering system is complicated and it's not clear where exactly you have to queue. The staff just shout at you in a very rude way that you're in the wrong place to order.
The cocktail I had was horrible (Moscow Mule - usually one of my favourites), but I'm sure most of the drinks are fine and not too overpriced. The bar itself is a bit tackier than it looks in pictures and the view isn't very nice - car park on 3 sides and a half-decent view on the other side, but you'd be lucky to get a glimpse as the walls are quite high.

When ordering my second drink the cashier misunderstood me and put through some food instead of the drink I wanted. I speak a fair bit of german and it was a pronounciation error. When my drink was not served to me I went back to her and explained the misunderstanding and she treated me like a complete idiot. I'm sure it was annoying that a food order had been put through by mistake and she went off to the kitchen to sort it out, but it wasn't a particularly busy time at the bar - in fact I think I was the only customer at that point. I apologised as much as I could (in German) and explained that I have a strong accent, but she would not accept it and was absolutely furious. I tried my hardest to speak the language, but they were treating me like a naughty child - the fact is it was a misunderstanding and a minor inconvenience, but she was acting like I shouldn't be there. I'd dread to think what this place would be like for someone that spoke no German - very confusing and unpleasant.
To add insult to the way I was being treated she then charged me for the drink I actually wanted on top of the food I didn't want that had been cancelled. I've worked in bars and restaurants and if a customer doesn't actually consume/recieve an item they shouldn't have to pay for it! The food wasn't even made yet! If my boyfriend didn't already have a nearly full drink he had just paid for I would have walked out straight away. Terrible terrible service.

They clearly didn't want tourists here so if you're visiting Berlin go somewhere on the River on a sunny day - much more pleasant. I don't expect places to speak English, but just to be a bit more sympathetic to the fact not everyone visiting speaks perfect German. I was really embarrassed and have honestly never been treated this badly in a bar or restaurant.

2  Thank rackerss
Reviewed 25 July 2013

After our favourite beach bar right next to the river Spree and behind the "East Side Gallery" have disappeared, we are looking for alternatives and found this one.
At first we were sceptic, but the makers really suceeded in creating some kind of beach feeling.
The view is really nice, just barely over the rooftops to Alexanderplatz and the TV tower.
The drink selection is wide, prices are adequate. We liked the sangria that came at 7,50 Euro for a pitcher.
There is a small barbecue and a some choices of "Flammkuchen", which is similar to pizza. These were really good, there was one, which we never had before with goat cheese, honey and roasted onions.
I found a nail poking out of one of the pallets on the floor, about 1 cm. Since many people walk around barefoot I told the staff, which nonchalantely told me that they hammer them in regularly but that they will eventually stick out again...

Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

Very nice "beach"
View isn't that mesmerizing, building isn't high enough for that. But very nice nonetheless.

Open till 21u30, possibly closed when the weather is bad.
Take the malls' parking elevator to the fifth floor.

Ow, and you have to go and order at the bar, they won't come to you.

2  Thank radiac93
Reviewed 25 May 2012

We had a great weather 30°C and sunny day. They maked very stong and great cocktail´s that maked the sun even more beautiful. Fine place and remindet me of good things happen when you think out site of the box. That is exactly what this place is, something I did not expected on a shoping mall.

1  Thank Gummisv