“Spacious rooms, lively atmosphere, comfortable and clean”
Review of The Circus Hostel

The Circus Hostel
Ranked #8 of 361 Speciality Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed 30 August 2017

I've stayed at the Circus at least six times, and every time I've ventured to other hostels in Berlin I've been disappointed, mainly because the Circus is optimal in its combination of location (the part of Mitte that's not far from Prenzlauer Berg/Weinbergsweg with its park and cafés) and logistics (right at Rosenthaler Platz and on an underground line you'll more likely than not be using several times). You also don't really need to worry about invading local neighbourhoods and cramping their style, because Rosenthaler Platz has long since succumbed to touristification; at the same time, a good day/night out in 'real' Berlin is either within walking or U-Bahn distance.

Service is impeccable. Staff (reception, cleaning, bar and cafe) are consistently jovial, helpful and generous (I've had room upgrades where availability permitted). I've always felt safe in this hostel, with luggage rooms downstairs (€4 for full-day rental) and a small safe box by the bed. Bedrooms are usually perfectly clean, showers slightly less so (bring flip-flops). The bedrooms are also more spacious than most hostel dorms I've come across. The breakfast buffet serves all adult needs (=everything bar Coco Pops) for a mere €5. All in all pretty good value for your money.

Finally, there's a pleasant mix of people: many travelling alone, many in groups; younger students, older non-students (30-50); families; couples. Regardless of category, I've found that it tends to attract the extroverted/sociable type even more so than the average hostel. So it's ideal both as a party hostel and non-party hostel. You might not like Mitte personally, but it's still difficult to find fault with the Circus.

Room Tip: The single rooms are both luxurious and cosy
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,298)

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Circus avoids the label of a party hostel while keeping a busy feel - it is right next to a number of nice bars and restaurants, all reasonably priced, and is close to the metro. At most a 40 minute walk to the Brandenburg gate also. Staff are very friendly, however rooms can be a little noisy from street traffic. Bringing your own padlocks for the lockers would be helpful.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alexj9739
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay here. I had a private room with a shared bathroom and my room was pretty nice and comfortable. The staff were really nice. I am especially happy with the event I did with the hostel - they coordinated a tour of the Boros Collection - which is a private contemporary art gallery housed in a formee World War II bunker. It is hard to get a ticket to as you need a private tour, and other people I met from Berlin told me how jealous they were that I had gone as it is not your typical tourist attraction. So thank you Circus! I also really liked the area the hostel was in. If you stay there, make sure you wander along the street it is on (away from the metro station) as it is a quiet street filled with nice restaurants, bars, shops and a nice park.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2017

Location is super good and central. It is literally steps from shops, restaurants, public transportation. We stayed in an 8 person dorm and the rooms were huge! This is something that is sometimes hard to come by in a hostel.. I found the beds comfy and the pillow was fluffy and good too. The hostel and the rooms were clean and wifi worked well.

However if you're traveling solo I wouldn't recommend this place (I traveled with friends). There is almost no common space besides the bar, which doesn't always fill up, and lobby area which is small. No air conditioning.. Staff wasn't always the most helpful. And if it matters to you, there are no in room lockers to store your bags, there is only a small box where you can lock a few of your small items.

The location is really the best feature of this hostel. We had heard really good things about this hostel which is why we were probably a bit disappointed. If you go into it not expecting much, it will probably meet your expectations.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2017

We stayed in the hostel's 4 person apartment and it was absolutely perfect. Modern, bright, clean, extremely spacious, and fully equipped. As a family we weren't sure if we'd feel out of place in a hostel but it couldn't be further from the truth. The staff were friendly and accommodating and the amenities were well thought-out...everything we needed was offered. Each morning we had breakfast in the cafe downstairs, and spent time hanging out on the patio. We felt very at home at Circus and couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in Berlin! Highly recommended for all kinds of travellers!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family