“Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Oslo
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Stayed here from Thursday Feb 2nd 2012 - Sunday 5th 2012. We were lucky and got an upgrade to a suite. The room was great, the breakfast was fantastic and the location was perfect. Short distance from everything we wanted to do in Berlin.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, UK
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This was a last minute booking for me - at a very reasonable price via lastminute.com - so I was astounded to be upgraded to the most enormous of suites. Pure luck - the hotel was completely full and I guess they had nowhere else to put me. But much appreciated anyway.

What I liked even more were the staff: all genuinely friendly and helpful, from the concierge (who could speak not only excellent English but also threw in a bit of Greek when I confessed I spoke more Greek than German...) to the very welcoming doorman, to the receptionists, to the lady who brought Earl Grey tea bags and showed me how to use the coffee machine in my suite.

My stay wasn't long enough to explore the hotel fully or use the restaurant, but my room (or should I say rooms) were spotless, very well insulated from street noise, and had every known creature comfort. I counted about five TVs, at least three phones and one chandelier.

My only gripes about the room - and this is really clutching at straws - is that for a hotel in the business district it wasn't very modern-business friendly. it was very hard to find an electric socket to plug one's phone charger or laptop into, particularly in the bedroom and even in the study (where there was a fax machine, TV and phone no less but no obvious spare socket). I ended up unplugging lights and moving furniture to do it. This is by no means a problem unique to the Ritz Carlton though, it's pretty universal wherever you go. Secondly, I was disappointed that there is no free wi-fi in room - there's a hefty daily charge. Again the RC is not alone in this: the bigger and flasher the hotel is, the more likely it is to charge a fortune for internet access. When so many boutique hotels offer it for free, why do these hotels persist?

I was also impressed by two other small details: that the restaurant the concierge booked us a table in already knew that we were going to the Philharmonic, and so served us suitably briskly without even having to ask; and that I booked room service breakfast for 5am as I had an early flight, and it arrived absolutely on the dot, piping hot.

Overall: excellent hotel, excellent service, thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I'm a fan of Ritz Carlton, so i didn't do much research before booking. I got a prepaid rate of 166Euro for early February, which was great. The location turned out to be so central to us. It is walking distance to Holocaust Memorial, Brandenburg Gate, Berliner Philharmonic, Check Point Charlie and Topography of Terror. Since we didn't have buffet breakfast as part of the package, we could go to nearby place for breakfast, eg The restaurant in Riechstag roof terrace, Kaisersaal at Sony Center serve wonderful breakfast at less then 20 Euro and Einstein Cafe. There is a shopping mall connected through the Potzdamer Plaz subway, you don't even need to cross a road to get there. There are lots of F&B outlet in the mall.
The concierge in the hotel is disappointing, not only they hardly answer phone, don't speak English and don't understand points of interest in Berlin, they are also very arrogant. If you want to ask for direction, go straight to the door men, or if after 6pm ask the Beefeater (an Englishman living in Germany for many years) and they will help you with anything which the concierge is reluctant to do.
I highly recommend this hotel for its location, and if you can get a good internet price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PFirst123
Brooklyn New York
Reviewed 7 February 2012

It was a landmark birthday and anniversary so my boyfriend and I decided to visit wonderful Berlin and do it up at the Ritz Carlton. We were not disappointed! Aside from Berlin being a fabulous city, the RC was a warm and luxurious place to call home for the week. The staff is incredibly warm and friendly.....and we particularly hit it off with Terry, who man's the door, as he and my bf are both jazz musicians. I was concerned that there might be a pretentious vibe at RC, but that was so far off from what we encountered. Everyone was truly lovely and down to earth. We found an amazing deal at booking.com (250 euros/day) that included the buffet breakfast, which typically goes for 38 euros/per person. The buffet was amazing....unlimited freshly squeezed juices, lattes, cappuccinos, espressos, etc, and crepes made to order, eggs made to order, sundry lox and herring, assorted cheeses. fresh prosciutto, yogurts, exotic fruits,,etc. The room was spacious and immaculate, and elegantly furnished. We loved the feather bed and having a doorbell alert us to any visitors. The dark chocolate treat every night was a sweet touch :-) The bathroom was huge, and we loved the quad music system with music piped into the bathroom from the DVD player in the main room. The bathtub was a wonderful treat as was the shower. The water pressure was perfect and there was no shortage of hot water. Location was stellar as well...albeit Berlin is 8 x's the size of Paris so be prepared to metro it or cab it. It's a 10 minute walk to the Jewish memorial, the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag. All worth visiting. Postdamer platz is right out the front door, as is Sony Center. We saw a fabulous concert of the Berlin Philharmonic just a 5 minute walk from RC. Also- check out the Solar club/restaurant....also a 10 minute walk from RC. Museumplatz can conceivably be walked if there wasn't a cold freeze happening! Overall I'd highly recommend the RC and will gladly stay there again when I return to Berlin in a warmer season!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2012

This hotel is somewhat disappointing. It certainly is a very nice hotel visually and the rooms are pleasant and comfortable but the service is much to be desired. Any request via guest services is extremely slow, including room service. The prices are unjustifiably overpriced for what you are getting and the service is poor. We had to wait 20 minutes to be served at the bar; the morning of our first stay there was no hot water and I was told this was due to too many people using the shower at the same time-after phoning three times, I had to walk to the hotel next door in -18 degrees weather to shower and was subsequently 2 hours late for an appointment-only when complaining again did the manager upgrade my room. When my flight was cancelled the next day, the hotel showed little concern for my dilemma and made no attempt to assist in the situation. I checked into the Hyatt hotel the following day which excelled in every way that the ritz didn't.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends