“Don´t miss the Weimenü”

Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Prenzlauer Berg
Reviewed 13 September 2017

This is a very cosy restaurant, situated in Prenzlauer Berg. It serves excellent food and offers a professional and polite service. We ordered the ”Weimenu mit Wein”, which was a very good choice! With five carefully prepared dishes, five different and very elegant Riesling Wines was served. Great choices and flavors!

We will definitely come back!

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Weinstein has one of the best wine lists in the city. It's worth a visit for that alone. What is equally impressive is the food. They serve beautiful modern German dishes lovingly prepared with local and/or regional ingredients. A friend brought us here a few years ago and we have been coming here since,  whenever we have guests from out of town or when we want to treat ourselves. Never disappoints!

Reviewed 24 June 2017

I stumbled upon this wine bar on my first evening in Berlin and liked the location of Prenzlauer berg and feel of the restaurant. I subsequently returned another two occasions in my short stay! As an Australian wine buff I loved the subtle German humour of the owner and of course his knowledge of his wine on offer. His house red wine was particularly good and it's name very funny (see photo) it went particularly well with his schnitzel and potatoes! Highly recommend it was my highlight of my visit to Berlin.

Reviewed 2 February 2017

Matching food and wine is one of my passions, much of the subtle knowledge has been passes by these days. To-days drinkers pick one wine and drink it threw out the meal, picking red with meat and with everything else any bottle that has the word chardonnay on the label.

At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries good German wine sold for higher prices than classified growths of Claret. German because of their ripeness and high content of non-sugar residuals (they have more taste), match a full range of foods.

This establishment speciality is the wines of Germany and Austria, and the Maitre d'
has a passion for them and their suitability with food. Many wines are available by the glass. Knowing this, I asked him to serve me a different glass of wine with each course of my meal entirely of his choosing. They do also offer a tasting menu with matching wines included.

The menu is small and perhaps not best suited to the picky eater, but getting out of your comfort zone will be richly rewarded. The food is outstanding in quality and execution. There is a simplicity even austerity about the food similar to the new in vogue Danish/Scandinavian school. It does speak to its roots of using ingredients from the available from the land in a up to date interpretation.

As an aperitif I was served a perfected chilled German Sylvaner crisp as a spring morning. For my first course I choose a ragout of poultry hearts, anything I have never seen before I order. A rich smooth sauce provided the background to a mild but tasty meatiness in the hearts. The dish like some Chinese food gave real texture, too much of modern food has only two textures crispy or soft. The wine this time was a delightful fully flavoured Riesling and provided a perfect complement. The main was Spatzle with steamed sweet onion and Mountain cheese from the Algauer. I was transported back to my visit to any Algauer creamy where I had watched such cheese being made and had sampled the same. Also to a summer job I once had when at college where the Chef used to make braised onions with butter and brown sugar. Delicious and washed down with a perfect German Pinot Grigio, a perfect match which equally filled the mouth with flavour. Dessert was a simple set semolina pudding with clementine slices in a spicy marinade. This time a glass of superb German late harvest Beernauslesse, sweet and raisin like with baked apple background and a fresh zingy acidity. When food and wine are so well matched the normal sum of two plus two does not equal four but the whole becomes a 10.

This is the reason that I would say that of all the restaurant meals I have even eaten this was top five.

The décor is plain but welcoming, the service wonderful, the ambience enjoyable. It is not cheap but it is worth the money every time. I do highly recommend it to you. It is located just 3 Blocks from the Eberswalder U Bahn stop, also the ! and M10 tram lines so reaching it is not a problem.

Reviewed 20 October 2016 via mobile

So far the best and most fun meal in Berlin. In the Prenzlauer Berg area of Berlin which has lots of restaurants on quaint tree lined streets. There were 4 of us and he choose 4 different glasses of white wine for the first course and 4 different reds for the main course. All were great and the food delicious.