“Great american style burger and shakes!”
Review of Doris' Diner

Doris' Diner
Ranked #641 of 3,836 Restaurants in Hamburg
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Neighbourhood: Eimsbüttel
Neighbourhood: Eimsbüttel
Reviewed 9 February 2015

Love this place considering that is hard to find a real american burger in germany. Great taste, pretty good service. The shakes are another thing that they do good, and they serve them in those metallic cups. Love the atmosphere and decoration too.
The only thing I didn't like was the hashbrowns I asked for breakfast, they are not real american hashbrowns, really far from them.
But overall, I really like this place, will go again for sure!

Reviewed 6 May 2013

This place feels like it's always been there and we keep coming back every once in a while when we are up for american food. This being said, it is an average diner and you neither leave disappointed nor overwhelmed with joy. This time we tried the turkey steak burger with a small salad and the pepper steak. The pepper steak came with a rather rich creamy sauce and a delicious baked potatoe. The meat was pretty good. The turkey steak was good but was served in a strange white bread bun topped with some whole-grain. Maybe to give it a more healthy touch? The salad was ok and a little too sugary, as in fact were all of our orders. My girlfriend had a pina colada which came from the tap, which is probably not totally unamerican. However, it tasted rather artifical. All in all, it was another ok experience. The service is actually pretty good, friendly and efficient. The place is decent choice if you hang around in the Grindel area anyway and if you are up for a burger. I would recommend to go for a classic choice and have a beef burger with fries. The more fancy choices are not exactly worth the money. If you want a really good american burger, go to Hollywood Canteen in Gärtnerstraße but be prepared for sometimes sleepy service.

Reviewed 9 February 2012

This place is going for an American diner feel. I can't say it quite captures it but they definitely tried! I had a turkey burger and my wife had some jalapeno poppers. The burger was pretty good but really just standard fair as far as burgers go. The jalapeno poppers were interesting but the cheese they were filled with wasn't like the cream cheese here in the states. I can't remember what kind it was. Also the jalapenos were red and not green. I'm going to go back here for breakfast. If you're an American in the area and looking for something to remind you of back home it is worth a visit. I can't say I'd be impressed if I compared it diners back home but it was nice to have some familiarity! (p.s. the Frau thinks they were just chili pepper poppers and not jalapenos ... and she is correct they were kind of expensive!)

Reviewed 20 November 2011

The food here is exceptional. If you are on a diet, I probably wouldn't recommend it, but I think they have salad on the menu. What you really go here for are the burgers. As a foreigner living in Germany I sometimes crave certain food and this place has it in spades. With a wide range of breakfasts from German Bauernfrühstück to breakfast burritos, shakes on the side, and giant cups of coffee, this is definitely a place to help with weekend hangovers or even hair of the dog (wicked cocktails). The service is also very good and the lady who works there on the weekends (only time I've gone) is very attentive.

Reviewed 6 November 2011

The Diner near the University is a typical US Diner with burgers, tex mex food and salad. We went there with kids and they were happy. From the outside it doesn't look so good. But inside you get a warm welcome and find yourself in the classical atmosphere.
The burgers and fries were great and more than enough. Everything you would expect here. The prices are reasonable and the diner is clean.