US$101
  • Restaurant
Hotel am Palais(Gelnhausen)
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 September 2015

We stayed here in again in August on business. Christina and Hanau are such lovely kind people and always so helpful.. Nice clean rooms and a really good breakfast. We have stayed here many years since 1991 for business and holidays with my
family.

Gelnhausen is such a beautiful place to visit and this hotel is great place to stay. We
will be going back again early next March.

I was shocked to see the terrible review from someone saying awful things about this hotel do not take any notice of this review it is a great hotel with lovely owners and I
am Turkish living in London and for business I took people to stay here from several
different nationalities. Christina and Hanau always really go out of their way to look
after their guests,they are lovely people. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Hakan Yanya

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Hakan Y
Reviewed 31 August 2015

My son and I stayed at this hotel and it was a very nice place to stay you really get the German experience. We arrived a little early and the lady, I believe she was the owner was very nice....the room was not ready but she went out of her way to make us comfortable and to get the room ready for us as soon as possible. We paid an extra $5 to get parking in the garage which was worth it. You can easily walk around town from this hotel to restaurants, grocery store, or just walk around sight seeing. The room was a normal hotel room it was very clean. Of course as in most homes in Germany there is no air conditioning, that was ok we opened the windows and stayed comfortable, the breakfast in the morning was really good they had lots of food. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would for sure stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2015

Do NOT believe the ONE terrible review from a 1-time poster on Trip Advisor!

I am shocked to read that negative review because I found the owner to be caring and helpful and interested in me as a guest. And coming from Japan, there was ZERO hint of racism!?! The owner actually Googled my city in Japan and made comments and asked questions about Kobe. She was genuinely interested in where I was from!?

Her daughter is a teacher in Germany and she told me about her and asked about schooling in Japan. She was the most helpful hotel owner/manager of my entire trip in Germany for almost 3 weeks!?

I am the FIRST person to pick up on racist things when traveling and there was NOTHING racist here. (I have around 140 reviews in August 2015 and not all of them are rave ones. I will post a few negative comments about my Germany trip but nothing bad about the Grimmelshausen Hotel.)

One example of kindness that I witnessed was when two men who were not staying in the hotel wandered in at about 10 a.m. and inquired about having breakfast there. I knew that the owner/manager had plans that morning shortly after breakfast and I could tell that she hesitated at first but having good business-sense, she invited them in to stay. These two men were Spanish speakers so I am not sure if a racist owner would be so interested in Japan and then so kind to two Latin men (non guests) who showed up 5 minutes before the end of the breakfast time meant for hotel guests. She welcomed them and chatted with them just as she did every day with all of the guests in the breakfast room!

The breakfast selection was very good and they offer to cook eggs to order like other hotels. I am pretty sure that I finished all of the homemade plum jam in 4 days from the 2014 harvest. The bread was fresh and delicious! I am guessing it came from the bakery across the street but don't know for sure. The meat & cheese selection was also great.

I spent 4 nights here and I had a double room for single use. I found the room to be very big and very very clean. I am from Japan so I am used to smaller accommodations. The room was NOT expensive and I had a flat screen TV and a room safe! This was the only hotel with a room safe during my trip. The bed was fine. Nothing luxurious but I am not a great sleeper so I shouldn't say too much. I do think it is odd that seemingly ALL German hotels do NOT put a top sheet on beds!? I need to have my feet tucked in at the bottom so it was hard to get used to a blanket on top of a mattress and just a fitted sheet. That was in EVERY hotel though.

The bathroom was BIG and very very clean. And the towels were great for this type of hotel in this price range. I had towel issues in my next hotel so looking back, the towels here were like the Four Seasons, comparatively.

The housekeeping women were friendly and kind too. Always sincere greetings which felt like home. The manager/owner also called me by name from the first day. This was the ONLY hotel where someone did that in Germany. That is the type of service that I received when I stayed in the Four Seasons in Dublin, Ireland or other 5-star hotels in the past. (The Japanese Yen is not as strong these days!) :)

The owner also suggested great day-trip ideas to me when I was looking to leave town for the day or half day. And she would ask the next morning about how my trips were.

Budingen was an easy half day trip and I highly recommend it. It is a beautiful little town only a couple train stops away if you are not driving. I was traveling by train and I managed to find the hotel without a problem. It was only about a 10-minute walk and convenient for my two day trips. I did it with a medium sized suitcase and a rolling carryon bag and it was not too taxing. The hotel is just at the start of the hill so just when you start to regret the walk and question why you didn't take a taxi, you will see the hotel on the right. A sure relief.

Fulda was my full-day trip and I enjoyed that city a lot too. It was further but the train ride was scenic. I wouldn't go there on a Monday if you plan on seeing the inside of the palace there. Monday was my only free day so I did it and there was still plenty to see without that museum.

The Grimmelshausen Hotel cannot be beaten for such good rates and service.

Almost forgot, this was also the best hotel for free wifi. I had so many problems in my other Germany hotels with the alleged "free wifi in every room."

*** The owner also recommended a great cafe for CAKE! So grateful for that suggestion! I went there twice and wanted to go a 3rd time but didn't have time. :( Pretty garden in the back where you can sit if you don't mind chain-smoking people blowing filthy smoke in your face. The inside has great seating too.

Room Tip: I'm not sure about the other rooms. My room was on the end of the hall at the top of the stairs so I didn't have any neighbours.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank kobekeith
Reviewed 16 May 2015

The Building looks nice from outside, typical histortical view of the town.
The rooms and furniture are rather aged and the bathrooms are not really clean.
We met the owner, she did not make us feel welcome and made inappropriate comments.
Honestly I would not recommend this place to a friend.

Room Tip: Good location but last choice
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family
3  Thank Pete S
Reviewed 20 April 2015 via mobile

Located in the old quarter of the town this hotel is a gem. Old Germany at its country best. Christania and Herinric are welcoming and make your stay a pleasure. The breakfast is good German style with bacon & eggs and is served in a rustic oak paneled dining room. They have lockable garages too. Located just 60 meters from the Untermaket square it is the per base from which to explore this magical town.

Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple