Holiday Inn Express Dortmund(Dortmund)(Great Value!)
US$76
The Grey Hotel(Dortmund)
US$84
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$96/night.

stays design Hotel Dortmund(Dortmund)(Great Value!)
US$58
US$144
US$85
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$94/night.

US$77
US$99
US$92
Priceline
Savings alert! 20% below average rates

The price you found is 20% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$115/night.

All reviewsvisiting dortmundminute walkthin wallscity centrethe ground floorlocation is excellentunderground parkingreception areafree wifinice hotelmarblenoisepfefferkornsirenschristmasfurnituregermany
Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

I thought the staff were very friendly. They helped us with directions around the city and called for taxis. The hotel is in a good location with walking distance to the main train station and the shopping center and Christmas market. The hotel was lovely, but the bed and single, very flat, pillow made it hard to sleep. The hotel is also very close to a hospital, so I was awake most of the night from the sounds of sirens. If you are a light sleeper and get a room facing the street, it is VERY loud! The appearance of the room and bathroom were lovely. Overall good experience!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

Mezmerizing entrance, englishsspeaking staff and short way to main shopping street of Dortmund. Very thin walls, so a lot of noise. Confusing setup of the rooms as the building houses two different hotels.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Øyvind N
Reviewed 6 November 2017

Stayed at the hotel with my 2 sons for 2 nights. Room was very spacious and price was reasonable. Very convenient location especially if you arriving to Dortmund by train. Impressive fish tank by the front desk on the ground floor!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2017

The first thing I should say is, there are two hotels within this property, the Excelsior and the Unique, and after three nights of staying there I still don't understand what the difference is: the reception and the public areas are the same, the breakfast is the same, etc. I *think* I stayed at (and therefore this review refers to) the Excelsior, but I am not 100% sure...

The second thing is, their pricing seems to be all over the place. If you google this hotel, you will see rates suggesting at best a hostel or perhaps a modest motel. On the other hand, you can also find rates distinctly towards the luxury end of the market. (I myself paid somewhere in between those extremes, thus further adding to the confusion.) So the first point I'm making is, how much you paid obviously greatly influences the value-for-money calculation, and therefore the relevance of what I'm about to say. The second point is - shop around!

I had one of the 'Exclusive' doubles, and the room was *HUGE*, in fact the bathroom alone was bigger than some hotel rooms I've stayed in! The room was also quite comfortable, impressively furnished (if you're into the sort of Las-Vegas-meet-Roman-Empire style gilded-everything) and well appointed (double basins and mini-jacuzzi in the bathroom, etc.). The hotel entrance and the public areas are impressive enough, breakfast is decent, location is great, there is parking (albeit at a charge)... in short, there is much to recommend the place.

Alas, it isn't perfect. The service is best described as perfunctory - I don't think I saw one staff member smile, and most of them gave a good impression of an East German government officials. The rooms are lacking in some respects, eg. there are no ironing facilities or minibar (and they have the cheek to charge €4 for a bottle of water!), and the curtains, which are billed as 'blackout', fall considerably short of that. And on some mornings a delivery truck arrives at 6am to make such a racket in the courtyard that I challenge anyone to sleep through the noise!

In summary, this hotel could be worth five stars, if only they would start thinking about things from their customer's perspective.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2017

A late arrival by car, no charge on my phone and I tried the Hotel Novum Exclesior as a last resort....all other hotels were full.
Check in was nice and polite. All the walls are covered in black marble in public areas, giving a very dark and dated feel.
Lighting in the bedroom and bathroom was very dim and I had to screw down the bulb in the bedside light for it to work.
Now I could see the threadbare carpet...and what was that green thing wriggling in the carpet? I just stamped it and shuddered, too tired and too late to search for another hotel.
The bed was OK but I did not get much sleep.
Stay outside the centre if you arrive late into Dortmund.
P.S. The hotel operates under 2 names.(Also call the Unique)

Room Tip: One to avoid I'm afraid. Also avoid The Unique Hotel, its the same premises.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo