“Excellent location but run down hotel”

Hotel an der Oper Dusseldorf
Ranked #207 of 240 Hotels in Dusseldorf
Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Couldn't fault the hotel for it's location, it was extremely central, close to many bars and restaurants and only ten (ish) minutes to the promenade. The hotel was very run down and could do with a revamp, definitely in need of a face lift. However the room we had was large for a double room and the room was clean which is most important.

I'd probably stay here again because of the location. Also, for the small amount of time actually spent in the room- it was acceptable for a couple of days.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

This was a basic hotel which was expected for the price paid. I was in a 2 single bed, room which had a small balcony. The room was clean and there were plenty of plug sockets - 2 near the beds were especially helpful so we could charge our phones. The beds weren't the most comfortable and the 2 single beds were pushed together, there can also be some noise from the street especially at the side we were at (next to the police station). The location makes this hotel well worth it. You are just around the corner from all the bars in the old town. The Heinrich-Heine-Allee station is just down the road and is 3 stops from the main station. If it's location you are after this hotel is perfect and it's somewhere I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

Unfortunately we were frustrated as the wifi did not work in our room and we needed to book a bunch of stuff for the next few days. So we spent the evening sitting in the corridor, I noticed another lady had to do the same.

Other than this, the room itself was decent and fairly quiet too which was good.

Stayed: April 2017
Reviewed 22 March 2017

I just returned from a five night stay at the Hotel an der Oper Dusseldorf for the big EuroShop show. As I always do, here is a look at what I saw as the GREAT, GOOD, BAD, and UGLY in my stay here. Then, I will offer some Bottom Line comments and answer the most important question: when I return to Dusseldorf (which I do, often) will I stay here again? Here goes . . .

GREAT

* Location: I have made NINE trips to Dusseldorf in the last ten years for trade fairs and will be coming back again this year yet, and I often spread my stay between multiple hotels (personal time vs. work time). So, I have stayed at probably fifteen different Dusseldorf hotels. This hotel may be the very BEST location I have ever stayed at for a show visit! It is less than a minute to walk to the Heinrich-Heine Allee U-Bahn stop and crazy-convenient in terms of being located to all of the tourist spots in Dusseldorf. I tend to like avoiding the touristy Altstadt but the convenience of this hotel is undeniable. It truly is great.

GOOD

* Room Size / Visibility: the room sizes are big enough, and due to the set-up of the building, you are likely to get a decent window view almost anywhere. I had no prob with the view from my room (#213). I also appreciated the multiple outlets - my room had four. This was great as I packed many devices to charge.

BAD (Room for improvement)

* Spartan Set-Up / Options: while the hotel is nicely located and convenient, please note there are few convenienceS. Even the lift seems to be hit-or-miss. When it is working, it is very slow and very small. And, all of your entertaining, dining, and just about everything else will have to be done elsewhere. But, there will be no shortage of entertainment options very nearby.

* WIFI: I found the wifi to come & go and to be pretty unreliable.

UGLY

* In Need of a Facelift: Okay, the big cliché with hotel reviewers is that a hotel 'needs to be refurbished'. Usually lazy reviewers use this jump the shark review comment and it is usually not true, or at least exaggerated. With this hotel though . . . the need to be refurbished screams at the top of its lungs. My room had multiple wall screws that once held paintings or mirrors or something that just stood as wall screws set in bland empty walls. The carpet on the floor I was on had multiple tears and big spots that looked like they had been bleached, as if someone spilled a bottle of bleach. They were filled in by someone writing on them in marker. The bathroom, while it served me well, was like a scene from 1972. No exaggeration, this hotel needs to be updated.

* Attention to Detail (and plumbing): the water was draining from my shower very slowly. Then, I noticed something: a big pile of hair, a wig really, blocking the drain. So, I grabbed it by lining my hand with a think wad of toilet paper and removed the obstruction. I'm still looking for a good trauma counselor. I did what I had to but this is something I kind of wished I didn't have to do. That said; the lovely housekeepers seem to do a good job otherwise.

BOTTOM LINE

* This hotel is pretty lucky to escape this review with as high as an 'average' rating. It really is about location and this location has me forgiving much of the other stuff. I assume the location alone keeps this hotel reserved and does not pressure ownership to have to tend to the other stuff. If this hotel, as-is, was located elsewhere in Dusseldorf it would either look much different or not exist.

* When I return in November will I stay here again? Despite the fact that I have stayed at better hotels in Dusseldorf (just about all of them were better), yes, I will look at this hotel first and try to stay here again. Did I mention the great location?

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank ShoelessJeff
Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

This hotel is ok, it's clean and the beds are comfortable. However it is extremely dated, the walls are quite thin so you can hear all the neighbours and the partying guests in old town. There are no kettles or fridges in the room. One day a cleaner did just let himself in without knocking which was a shock.

Location was great, less than a minute walk to a tube station. 5 mins walk down to the Rhine river. We only stayed 2 nights, so it was ok for the 3 of us, however wouldn't recommend if you're looking for any luxury.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family