“Total disappointment”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Stadt-Mitte
Description: Enjoy finest sushi, exclusively prepared by our Japanese cooks. Our Fish Corner and Sushi Bar serves fresh Maki, Nigiri, Sashimi and Tempura but also Kaiseki (many-course) menus, which introduce our guests to the extraordinary traditional Japanese cuisine and widen their culinary senses. You may either sit in our classic restaurant or take a time-out to recuperate in our traditional Tatami rooms. Relax in your private corner and enjoy the culinary art of our cooks - sitting on Tatami straw mats. You might also like to experience the traditional Japanese barbecue! The Japanese cooks - with Masashi Nonaka as Head Chef - prepare delicious menus on the only "iron plates" in Duesseldorf right in front of your eyes.
Reviewed 14 April 2016

Sadly the restaurant is existing on its previous reputation. During a return visit to Dusseldorf last week my husband and I went for lunch expecting the standard of food and service we had always received in the past.
Every item of food served was sub standard. There was nothing fresh about anything we were given. The fish was stale and the meat dry. Pickles were curling and the salad was wilted and shrivelled. How it was allowed to leave the kitchen when it was visibly past being edible is hard to understand.
We decided to write a comment rather than complain at the time. More than the bad food was our sense of disappointment about the deterioration of a valued restaurant. Our hope is that the management will review the kitchen standard and restore the quality of this onetime hallmark of Japanese food excellence in Dusseldorf.

Reviewed 24 November 2015

I have strong opinions about Benkay. Some of them good and some bad, which I will summarize below:

The Good
- The sushi was great and the chef seemed like a real professional. It was the best unagi (eel) I’ve ever had.
- Main courses were quite good—tempura and noodle soup in our case
- They offered an unusual sparkling sake on the menu, which I highly recommend.

The Bad
- Overpriced—you can eat good Japanese food for less in Dusseldorf
- The atmosphere is dated and needs a full renovation.
- The service was poor. There were long gaps between courses and the servers never bothered to clear the plates. It was not that busy!

Overall, the good slightly outweighed the bad, and I recommend Benkay.

Finally, make sure you state whether you want to sit in the sushi area of the teppanyaki area.

Reviewed 31 October 2015

salmon dish did not taste fresh at all, it tasted like it was cooked from frozen. The sushi looked like it was made by an amateur and also tasted a day old. I can't understand the good reviews, I've had better meals at japanese takeaways

Reviewed 28 October 2015 via mobile

In September 2015, we party of 3 went there at lunch time and all ordered beef filet lunch.
Food was okay with decent level of real Japanese taste, but meat itself was just normal, no surprise. Good for business use, not for family in my case. Question mark for couples.

Reviewed 28 October 2015 via mobile

I was rather desapointed but maybe I had too high expectations. It is just about basic japanese food, good, but nothing really different from other places.