“Very good teppanyaki...too complacent though”
Review of Benkay

Benkay
Ranked #768 of 1,889 Restaurants in Dusseldorf
Price range: US$14 - US$177
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Stadt-Mitte
Description: Enjoy finest sushi, exclusively prepared by our Japanese cooks. Our Fish Corner and Sushi Bar serves fresh Maki, Nigiri, Sashimi and Tempura but also Kaiseki (many-course) menus, which introduce our guests to the extraordinary traditional Japanese cuisine and widen their culinary senses. You may either sit in our classic restaurant or take a time-out to recuperate in our traditional Tatami rooms. Relax in your private corner and enjoy the culinary art of our cooks - sitting on Tatami straw mats. You might also like to experience the traditional Japanese barbecue! The Japanese cooks - with Masashi Nonaka as Head Chef - prepare delicious menus on the only "iron plates" in Duesseldorf right in front of your eyes.
Reviewed 26 June 2016

Benkay could be superb place...located in the Nikko hotel right in the Japanese district it has everything what it takes to be a world-class Japanese...authentic chefs...authentic design...authentic dishes...authentic staff...I tried their signature Benkay menu...most of it was really superb...even so good that it might deserve stars in another rating system...BUT well some of was not so good and thats not because of the dishes but because it wasn't all that fresh...now I know that this was a bad day, that it was an exception....I know that -judging from everything else- Benkay would almost always have a good day but well in order to be world-class you simply cannot afford to have these days where you meat is not fresh...I think Benkay is too good and too established in order to be still ambiguous enough in order to win over every single customer...I could feel that it was just a case of complacency and well this is a tragedy really when you have such a fantastic place....that and only that is the reason for an average rating...I am sure that next time I come they will be excellent again...at least I hope for that...

Reviewed 2 June 2016

Excellent menu and cooking / culinary experience, in the Japanese style and tradition. Perfectly designed and executed menu on the cooking table, wonderfull combination of fish and vegetables.
A very good restaurant, despite slightly less excellent that the same named Benkay of Paris Nikko's hotel near Eiffel tower.
As well relatively expensive, but this is the standard for this high quality japanese food.

Reviewed 16 May 2016

you will meet there all what you expect when you go to a japanese restaurant. the staff is friendly and attentively. the meals are real big what i would change! the quality is outstanding.

Reviewed 14 April 2016

Sadly the restaurant is existing on its previous reputation. During a return visit to Dusseldorf last week my husband and I went for lunch expecting the standard of food and service we had always received in the past.
Every item of food served was sub standard. There was nothing fresh about anything we were given. The fish was stale and the meat dry. Pickles were curling and the salad was wilted and shrivelled. How it was allowed to leave the kitchen when it was visibly past being edible is hard to understand.
We decided to write a comment rather than complain at the time. More than the bad food was our sense of disappointment about the deterioration of a valued restaurant. Our hope is that the management will review the kitchen standard and restore the quality of this onetime hallmark of Japanese food excellence in Dusseldorf.

Reviewed 24 November 2015

I have strong opinions about Benkay. Some of them good and some bad, which I will summarize below:

The Good
- The sushi was great and the chef seemed like a real professional. It was the best unagi (eel) I’ve ever had.
- Main courses were quite good—tempura and noodle soup in our case
- They offered an unusual sparkling sake on the menu, which I highly recommend.

The Bad
- Overpriced—you can eat good Japanese food for less in Dusseldorf
- The atmosphere is dated and needs a full renovation.
- The service was poor. There were long gaps between courses and the servers never bothered to clear the plates. It was not that busy!

Overall, the good slightly outweighed the bad, and I recommend Benkay.

Finally, make sure you state whether you want to sit in the sushi area of the teppanyaki area.