See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 February 2012

This is a basic hotel between the centre of Essen and the Exhibition Centre, through a door to the side of a bar. It seems to be run by it's owners who live on the first floor.
They are very cheerful and helpful and will recommend local places to eat and drink. I would personally recommend a typical German Bar/Restaurant, turn left and walk down the hill about a 1/4 of a mile on the left in a small square. Very Good.
Rooms are basic and very clean but the beds a bit low and hard.
Very good value for money

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Dorekent
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Excellent service from (presumably) Frau Hoffmann. Hotel is in an excellent location 5 mins walk from the Rüttenscheider Stern U-Bahn. Breakfast was well above average. Very good value for money. I think the hotel only had 2 guests at the time, so was super quiet. Charging 3 euros a day extra for wifi is silly, much better to include it. I booked the most basic single room, but got a double with ensuite so I was pleased. Only weird thing was finding the previous occupants hairy soap in the bathroom, but overall cleanliness was good.
There are supermarkets and several places to eat on Rüttenscheider Strasse if you turn left / south and walk 7 to 10 mins. The Hauptbahnhof is only minutes away and has a LIDL.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Room was clean, comfortable and relatively spacious. Good generous breakfast with friendly and helpful service. B&B itself is nicely positioned for travel around the region, close to trams and U Bahn but we tended to walk the 20 mins or so to the main station which is directly down a long straight road & very easy to find. Restaurants close by offerring a variety of cuisines.

Positives - clean and quiet room. Friendly service.
Negatives - entrance to B&B a bit awkward due to shared entry with bar next door. Dawn chorus of keys in locks from rooms on the same floor. Room too light for my liking but that's why I take eyeshades!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lightsleeper9
Reviewed 21 September 2009

The Hotel Hoffman is a great place to stay. The owners were friendly and they went the extra mile to ensure I found the place and that my stay was pleasant indeed. Even though I stayed for 1 night, I found the place central as there is a U-Bahn station nearby and several eating places around.

Though it is about 15 minutes to the town centre, it is best to take the tram.

The breakfast was good, the room was clean. It is indeed value for money.

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay. Thanks Hotel Hoffman!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 January 2009

We stayed for two nights at Hotel Hoffmann in Essen. The hotel is conveniently located near public transportation with several grocery stores and other amenities nearby. You can walk from the train station, but we recommend not trying it in the pouring rain!

The entrance to the hotel is connected to a bar/restaurant downstairs, so it's a bit tricky to figure out upon arrival. Once you get in you go up two flights of stairs and ring a bell for service. We had a double room with a newly renovated washroom. The room was clean, but could also use some updating. The breakfast (included in the room rate) was generous.

One of the more appealing aspects of our stay was the jovial demeanor of the male proprietor (we've forgotten his name).

Overall, the Hotel Hoffmann is a good choice for a short stay in Essen, especially for those on a budget.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple