“Fine food, friendly staff”
Review of BASCOOK

BASCOOK
Ranked #26 of 1,172 Restaurants in Bilbao
Price range: US$32 - US$70
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in an old salt warehouse, it offers a dimly lit and relaxed atmosphere that compliments their soul-filled elaborations. Led by chef Aitor Elizegi, his basque, yet international cuisine, green and local, is a reflection of his daily hard work. Based on the idea of haute cuisine for the public, it´s pure flavor; the truth is in the food.
Reviewed 18 July 2017

Had quite high expectations before visiting because of recommendations from friends. Wish the staff would tell more about the food/wine, and give a suggestion of how many dishes you should take for a full meal and if it is sharing friendly. We did three dishes each, but should`ve done at least one more (and I usually dont eat much). It was good, but guess my expectations was a bit too high. should be able to get a glass of eco-wine. Good place for gluten free options. Not as expensive as I though.

Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

Really excellent vegetarian options. I had the potato ravioli with truffles and - a separate dish - the broccoli kebab. Both were excellent with unusual flavours. Two dishes from the menu are enough as a main course. The puddings which followed were also very good. The bill with a beer, and half a bottle of wine per person plus a pudding wine came to about 70 euros each. We dined in the evening. Well worth it. A menu in English is available.

Reviewed 5 July 2017

Wow, what a great looking location and the quality of the food matches it. We had an amazing tasting menu with great service and atmosphere. By the way, the bread is also to die for. Excellent for a special occasion.

Reviewed 17 May 2017

I went for dinner for an important UK customer and I was showing them a new range of high-end Sangrias and we wanted to taste them before the dinner and the maitre de brought 3 glasses with ice and then said we could not taste them in the restaurant as he could not guarantee the quality or safety of my natural sangrias, I explained that we where only going to taste it quickly and that they are pasteurised and then have the dinner and offered to pay a corkage charge he said NO and I explained that in my 15 years working in the Spanish wine and craft beer that this has never happened before to me in a restaurant. We tried the sangrias quickly and my customer commented they received several un-friednly glares from the gentleman. I was honestly embarrassed and annoyed by the treatment by the maitre and his comments on quality of my new products in-front of a very important customer, of course I will not be returning with customers to have any business lunches/dinners and I can not recommend this restaurant for a place to do business. The waiter that attended our table was very good and professional and some what made up for the poor and upsetting treatment of the maitre. The food was hit and miss and you get a feeling of jack of all trades master of none.

Management response:Responded 27 May 2017

Dear Customer,

First of all, thank you for choosing our restaurant and for giving us your feed-back.

We regret that your Bascook experience has not lived up to its expectations and of course we respect all opinions. Accordingly, we would like to explain to you that it is the policy of our restaurant not to allow the consumption of non-local products for safety reasons, you should understand that if they are not our own products we can not guarantee the optimal quality of them nor their proper handling.

On the other hand, if as you had exposed us in your writing, it was a commercial activity, we consider that the right behaviour would had been to request permission previously and perhaps we could have given you a private space for your commercial presentation.

For any doubt, comment or suggestion we are at your disposal on the phone + 34 944 00 99 77 or sending us an email to contacto@bascook.com

Bascook Customer Service Area

Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

This was my first time to Bascook and it came highly recommended by friends.
We decided to get a handful of dishes and share everything. There were some dishes which really stood out for me, especially the carpaccio of 'mercurio' and the 'huevos rotos' which came with a local red pepper, the egg was a perfect 10/10. Although in general the food was of a very high standard the last two dishes were a bit disappointing lacking flavour, those were the tuna and fillet steak. I felt both could've been much better.
The restaurant itself is wonderfully decorated and warm and the staff were fantastic, always offering advice and options.
We ordered a few bottles of wine and the overall price was high but felt that the experience was worth it
Definitely a place I'd return to try more dishes, or the 'huevos rotos' again