“when in rome”

Price range: US$165 - US$188
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

in all honesty this place was not a top pick for me. my other choices where closed at the time i was visiting. having said that...happy i had the experience. the food was not that spectacular and a 3 hour lunch could have been a bit shorter...too much time in-between courses. but still,,,the theatricality of it all...and our server was just so much fun. we had a wonderfull time. mr arzak coming out to great and speak to everyone was a treat. it's a once in lifetime experience that i don't regret.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,410)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had originally made a reservation for dinner the prior evening but due to illness we rescheduled the following day for lunch. The staff was extremely accommodating and gracious.
We arrived for our lunch and were seated upstairs, where we were the only guests at the time. My wife asked if we could be seated on the main floor, which they were happy to do. The restaurant was filled with filtered sunlight and had a most pleasant atmosphere. The staff was very friendly and oh so accommodating. We chose the chef's tasting menu, which I feel is the best way to experience a fine restaurant. We were repeatedly told that if we wished to substitute anything or found anything lacking, they would immediately make change. It was our third Michelin starred restaurant in 5 days, the others being one star. Both were superb, so I was curious what would garner the additional stars.
We ordered both house wine and a bottle. I am still amazed at the modest prices of the wines. In no case were we upsold on wine in any of the restaurants. The sommelier chose very reasonably priced wine that suited the menu perfectly and was delicious.
Over the next 2.5 hours were regaled with food that was both a feast for the eyes as well as our taste buds. Each course was exquisitely prepared and presented in it's own special dish, chosen to display the food in the most artful manner. I can't imagine what the poor dishwasher must go through!
Since I do not have the photos with me as I am writing this, I cannot recall the various courses. What I do recall is how delicious and beautiful the food was, truly a wonderful experience.
At the end of the meal, Chef Juan Marie greeted each table, with the maitre'd acting as interpreter. I'm sure that he does this regularly, nonetheless, it was a special treat. We had seen San Sebastian and the restaurant on Anthony Bourdain, which was the sole reason for our visit. Neither the town nor Arazak disappointed us!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was most impressed with the service which was not only very friendly, but very accommodative. It was the first time I've eaten in a fine dining establishment where the entire table is not required to order same tasting menu. We were able to try 2 different tasting menus, had the option of ordering a la carte along with a tasting menu, and even had 2 persons sharing one tasting menu while swapping out the seafood items. Everything was tasty and beautifully presented and the theatrics of the of the chocolate bomb dessert collapsing in front of our eyes when they poured the hot sauce on it was entertaining. We appreciated chatting with the chef after the meal. There's valet parking if you're driving.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I really am not going to write allot about this place. Its reputation speaks for itself.

Like a good building, one should experience fine dining without ever being lost or overstimulated by non-essentials. This place is about good food and wine. Nothing else.

It ticks all the right boxes.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

No where else in the world will you ever have a menu so elaborate or tailored to suit your requirements. They catered to my partners wheat and gluten free diet. From booking to leaving the restaurant, Arzak makes sure to take care of you. We were invited to meet Elena Arzak and take a tour of the kitchen which was a sight to behold. The food was as expected, different and flavourful. The basel sorbet still haunts us.

1  Thank KennelEightyFive